The Role Of Firms And Entrepreneurship On Local Development
AbstractThe present paper considers and analyzes the role of management and entrepreneurship on the firm and region sustainability. This relation was explored in terms of managers’ behaviour related to three aspects of sustainable development, namely, economic, social and environmental.Through a questionnaire survey of 251 micro, small and medium firms in Vale do Sousa region located in the Northern Portugal, it was discovered that, contrary to what most of literature presents, managers are putting in first place the environmental aspect of sustainability, followed by the social aspect, and the economic as the last one. These results lead to a characterization of firms as being sustainable, but with a risk-averse and non innovative behaviour on the part of the firms’ management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Romanian Regional Science Association in its journal Romanian Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 5 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (JUNE)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rrsa.ro
small firms; entrepreneurship; sustainability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q24 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Land
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Islam, Sardar M. N. & Munasinghe, Mohan & Clarke, Matthew, 2003. "Making long-term economic growth more sustainable: evaluating the costs and benefits," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 149-166, December.
- Lee, Sang M. & Peterson, Suzanne J., 2000. "Culture, entrepreneurial orientation, and global competitiveness," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 401-416, January.
- Venkataraman, Sankaran, 2004. "Regional transformation through technological entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 153-167, January.
- Paul Cheshire & Edward Malecki, 2003.
"Growth, development, and innovation: A look backward and forward,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 249-267, October.
- Paul Cheshire & Edward Malecki, 2003. "Growth, development, and innovation: A look backward and forward," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 249-267, October.
- Boari, Cristina & Odorici, Vincenza & Zamarian, Marco, 2003. "Clusters and rivalry: does localization really matter?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 467-489, December.
- Greve, Arent, 1995. "Networks and entrepreneurship -- an analysis of social relations, occupational background, and use of contacts during the establishment process," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Espinosa, A. & Harnden, R. & Walker, J., 2008. "A complexity approach to sustainability - Stafford Beer revisited," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(2), pages 636-651, June.
- Bob Giddings & Bill Hopwood & Geoff O'Brien, 2002. "Environment, economy and society: fitting them together into sustainable development," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 187-196.
- Arvanitidis, Paschalis & Petrakos, George & Pavleas, Sotiris, 2007. "Determinants of economic growth: the experts’ view," Papers DYNREG20, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Antoncic, Bostjan & Hisrich, Robert D., 2001. "Intrapreneurship: Construct refinement and cross-cultural validation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 495-527, September.
- Philip Mccann, 2006. "On the supply-side determinants of regional growth," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(7), pages 681-693.
- Claudia Mar�a Vargas, 2000. "Community development and micro-enterprises: fostering sustainable development," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 11-26.
- Jack, Sarah L. & Anderson, Alistair R., 2002. "The effects of embeddedness on the entrepreneurial process," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 467-487, September.
- Maria Lúcia Pato & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2013. "Twenty years of rural entrepreneurship: a bibliometric survey," FEP Working Papers 516, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bogdan-Vasile Ileanu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.