AbstractThis article reviews the causes of the crisis, explores the nature of financial intermediation, presents a set of reforms to overcome the deficiencies of the regulatory structure and examines the role of monetary policy in the current crisis. It concludes that it is essential to increase regulatory capital requirements and liquidity of banks and increase the guarantees of financial products that are traded globally.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía in its journal Revista de Economía Institucional.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 22 (January-June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cra. 1 No. 12-68 Casa de las Mandolinas
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
economic crisis; financial intermediation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brigitte Desroches & Michael Francis, 2007.
"World Real Interest Rates: A Global Savings and Investment Perspective,"
07-16, Bank of Canada.
- Brigitte Desroches & Michael Francis, 2010. "World real interest rates: a global savings and investment perspective," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(22), pages 2801-2816.
- Alan Greenspan, 2000. "Technology and Financial Services," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 109-113, December.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "This Time It’s Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly-Preface," MPRA Paper 17451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2012.
"Global imbalances, cross-market linkages, and the financial crisis : a multivariate Markov-Switching analysis,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/8773, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2012. "Global imbalances, cross-market linkages, and the financial crisis: A multivariate Markov-switching analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 943-973.
- Joseph J. Hughes & Loretta Mester, 2011.
"Who Said Large Banks Don't Experience Scale Economies? Evidence from a Risk-Return-Driven Cost Function,"
Departmental Working Papers
201127, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Hughes, Joseph P. & Mester, Loretta J., 2013. "Who said large banks don’t experience scale economies? Evidence from a risk-return-driven cost function," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 559-585.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 2011. "Who said large banks don't experience scale economies? Evidence from a risk-return-driven cost function," Working Papers 11-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 2013. "Who said large banks don’t experience scale economies? Evidence from a risk-return-driven cost function," Working Papers 13-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, revised 04 Feb 2014.
- Liang, Hsiao-Chen & Jang, Woan-Yuh, 2013. "Information asymmetry and monitoring in equity private placements," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 460-475.
- Agarwal, Sumit & Chang, Yan & Yavas, Abdullah, 2012. "Adverse selection in mortgage securitization," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 640-660.
- Beniamino Moro, 2013. "The Run On Repo and the Liquidity Shortage Problems of the Current Global Financial Crisis: Europe vs. The US," Ekonomi-tek - International Economics Journal, Turkish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 41-77, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.