The economic and environmental sustainability of biofuel production
AbstractThis paper analyses some of the determinants of biofuel economy in terms of relations with the fossil fuels markets and the agricultural markets. In particular, on the basis of the scientific literature the impact of fossil fuel prices on the agricultural markets is analyzed together with substitutability between food/fodder and biofuel production. The study then goes on to attempt evaluation of the environmental sustainability of biofuels on the basis of the energy balance, greenhouse gas reduction and other environmental effects. The paper concludes with some benefits and costs considerations on biofuel and the implications for policy-making.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Biofuels; Agricolture; Environmental Sustainability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q42 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Alternative Energy Sources
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Treguer, David & Sourie, Jean-Claude & Rozakis, Stelios, 2005. "Questions of Costs About the French Bio-Fuel Sector by Year 2010," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24560, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Valeria Costantini & Francesco Gracceva, 2004. "Oil Security Short- and Long-Term Policies," Working Papers 2004.115, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Frondel, Manuel & Peters, Jorg, 2007.
"Biodiesel: A new Oildorado?,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1675-1684, March.
- Tokgoz, Simla & Elobeid, Amani E. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Yu, Tun-Hsiang (Edward) & Dong, Fengxia & Hart, Chad E. & Beghin, John C., 2007. "Long-Term and Global Tradeoffs between Bio-Energy, Feed, and Food," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9811, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Simla Tokgoz & Amani Elobeid, 2006.
"Analysis of the Link between Ethanol, Energy, and Crop Markets, An,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
06-wp435, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Simla Tokgoz & Amani Elobeid, 2006. "Analysis of the Link between Ethanol, Energy, and Crop Markets, An," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 06-wp435, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Ferris, John N. & Joshi, Satish V., 2004. "Evaluating The Impacts Of An Increase In Fuel-Ethanol Demand On Agriculture And The Economy," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20089, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.