The Wage Curve in Italian Manufacturing Industry
AbstractThe paper examines the Italian wage curve using the Capitalia survey of the Italian manufacturing firms over the 1998-2000 period, which contains data on about 4021 firms, and the Bank of Italy’s Historical Database from the Survey of Italian Household Budgets (1977-2000) over the period 1993-2000, containing data on about 7145 manufacturing employees. Evidence in favour of the existence of the Italian wage curve is found in the regressions of real wages over local unemployment on examining the data for sets of measured characteristics of employees and firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Econometric Methods; Unemployment; Wages; Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials by Skill;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- Akerlof, George A, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-69, November.
- Costabile Lilia, 2001. "Il Libro Bianco del Ministero del Lavoro. Una nota critica," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 869-894.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- repec:rie:review:v:4:y:1999:i:1:n:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:rie:review:v:9:y:2004:i:3:n:4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Salop, Steven C, 1979. "A Model of the Natural Rate of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 117-25, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press,
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, October.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, October.
- Bratsberg, Bernt & Turunen, Jarkko, 1996. "Wage curve evidence from panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 345-353, June.
- David Card, 1995.
"The Wage Curve: A Review,"
Working Papers, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section.
722, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Janssens, Stefan & Konings, Jozef, 1998. "One more wage curve: the case of Belgium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 223-227, August.
- Campbell, Carl & Orszag, J. Michael, 1998. "A model of the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 119-125, April.
- Saltari Enrico & Tilli Riccardo, 2004. "Una rivisitazione del nesso di causalità fra protezione all'occupazione e performance del mercato del lavoro," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 453-474.
- Sergio Destefanis, 2001. "Differenziali Territoriali di Produttivita' ed Efficienza negli Anni '90: i Livelli e l'Andamento," CELPE Discussion Papers 59, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- repec:rie:review:v:3:y:1998:i:3:n:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:rie:review:v:3:y:1998:i:1:n:3 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.