Alla ricerca della flessibilità: un'analisi della curva dei salari in Italia
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to study the functioning of local labour markets considering different geographical areas (macro-areas, regions, provinces). Looking at the growing differences in the unemployment rates between the North and the South of Italy, we investigate the existence of a negative relation linking wage levels to local unemployment rates. It would seem that the traditional result, better known as "wage curve", is not supported by the Italian experience. Using an appropriate geographical disaggregation and a dynamic specification that takes into account the existence of inertia in the adjustment processes, the relation that links wage levels to local unemployment often exhibits a positive sign, and in general it is not significant. Similar results are obtained even when the analysis is restricted to particular sub-groups of the labour market or to specific regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal Rivista italiana degli economisti.
Volume (Year): (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ammermueller, Andreas & Lucifora, Claudio & Origo, Federica & Zwick, Thomas, 2007.
"Still Searching for the Wage Curve: Evidence from Germany and Italy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2674, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ammermüller, Andreas & Lucifora, Claudio & Origo, Federica & Zwick, Thomas, 2007. "Still searching for the wage curve: evidence from Germany and Italy," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-008, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Saltari, Enrico & Wymer, Clifford R. & Federici, Daniela, 2013. "The impact of ICT and business services on the Italian economy," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 110-118.
- Devicenti francesco & Maida Agata & Pacelli Lia, 2005.
"The Resurrection of the Italian Wage Curve,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
200502, University of Turin.
- Carlo Dell'Aringa & Claudio Lucifora & Federica Origo, 2007.
"Public Sector Pay And Regional Competitiveness. A First Look At Regional Public-Private Wage Differentials In Italy,"
University of Manchester, vol. 75(4), pages 445-478, 07.
- Dell'Aringa, Carlo & Lucifora, Claudio & Origo, Federica, 2005. "Public Sector Pay and Regional Competitiveness: A First Look at Regional Public-Private Wage Differentials in Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 1828, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francesco Devicienti & Agata Maida & Paolo Sestito, 2003. "Nominal and Real Wage Rigidity: An Assessment Using Italian Microdata," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 33, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Ammermüller, Andreas & Kuckulenz, Anja & Zwick, Thomas, 2006.
"Aggregate Unemployment Decreases Individual Returns to Education,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ammermueller, Andreas & Kuckulenz, Anja & Zwick, Thomas, 2009. "Aggregate unemployment decreases individual returns to education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 217-226, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.