Productivity Growth and Convergence between Agriculture and Industry in EU Countries
AbstractThis paper presents estimates of the total factor productivity for 15 European countries at the economy-wide level for the period 1990-2003. Although the TFP estimates are based on the “old” growth theory (omitting human capital given the unavailability of data at the sector level), they are, however, derived from panel analysis, which is more appropriate than the usual time series regressions. The aim of the work is to verify the presence of a convergence process between agriculture and industry within the various countries in terms of both the TFP gap and the labour productivity gap. The conclusion is that in the period examined a convergence process was under way – albeit very slow – in the case of both the TFP and the labour productivity gap. In effect, the different country dynamics work out at a substantial invariance over time for the UE 15 gaps as a whole.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Labour Productivity; Convergence Process;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy C. Sargent & Edgard R. Rodriguez, 2000.
"Labour or Total Factor Productivity: Do We Need to Choose?,"
International Productivity Monitor,
Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 1, pages 41-44, Fall.
- Timothy C. Sargent & Edgard R. Rodriguez, . "Labour or Total Factor Productivity: Do We Need to Choose?," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada 2001-04, Department of Finance Canada.
- R. Paci & R. Pala & E. Marrocu, 2000. "Estimation of total factor productivity for regions and sectors in Italy. A panel cointegration approach," Working Paper CRENoS 200016, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Ball, V Eldon, et al, 1993. "The Stock of Capital in European Community Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 437-50.
- Swan, Trevor W, 2002. "Economic Growth," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(243), pages 375-80, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.