International Comparison of Total Factor Productivity: A Review
AbstractSeveral different approaches to international comparison of Total Factor Productivity (TFP) have now emerged. Among these are the time-series approach, the panel approach, and the cross-section approach. This paper compares methodologies of these different approaches and results that have been obtained from their application. The comparison of results is conducted in the context of two samples, namely the sample of G7 countries and a large sample that includes developing nations. It is found that while there are broad agreements in results, there exist considerable differences too. The analysis shows how these differences can be related, in part, to differences in methodology. The paper also shows how these different approaches to international TFP-comparison can play a complementary role in enhancing our understanding of such important phenomena as technological diffusion and TFP-convergence. Copyright 1999 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Doireann Fitzgerald & Juan Carlos Hallak, 2002.
"Specialization, Factor Accumulation and Development,"
488, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Fitzgerald, Doireann & Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2004. "Specialization, factor accumulation and development," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 277-302, December.
- Doireann Fitzgerald & Juan Carlos Hallak, 2004. "Specialization, Factor Accumulation and Development," NBER Working Papers 10638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 301-314, December.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008. "Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories," MPRA Paper 27595, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"The technology clubs: the distribution of knowledge across nations,"
27597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Castellacci, Fulvio & Archibugi, Daniele, 2008. "The technology clubs: The distribution of knowledge across nations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1659-1673, December.
- Veloso, Fernando A. & Ferreira, Pedro Cavalcanti Gomes & Pessoa, Samuel de Abreu, 2004.
"On The Tyranny of Numbers: East Asian Miracles in World Perspective,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
569, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Pedro Cavalcanti Ferreira & Samuel de Abreu Pessôa & Fernando A. Veloso, 2005. "On The Tyranny of Numbers: East Asian Miracles in World Perspective," IBMEC RJ Economics Discussion Papers 2005-10, Economics Research Group, IBMEC Business School - Rio de Janeiro.
- Maria Gabriela Ladu, 2010. "Total Factor Productivity Estimates: Some Evidence from European Regions," WIFO Working Papers 380, WIFO.
- Blancard, Stephane & Boussemart, Jean-Philippe & Briec, W. & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2008.
"Technology Adoption in French Agriculture and the Role of Financial Constraints,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44160, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2007. "Technology Adoption in French Agriculture and the Role of Financial Constraints," INRA UMR CESAER Working Papers 2007/1, INRA UMR CESAER, Centre d'’Economie et Sociologie appliquées à l'’Agriculture et aux Espaces Ruraux.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 2002.
"Technological superiority and the losses from migration,"
0102-60, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 2002. "Technological Superiority and the Losses from Migration," NBER Working Papers 8971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2010.
"Closing the technology gap?,"
27586, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Danquah, Michael & Ouattara, Osman & Speight, Alan, 2010. "Productivity growth, human capital and distance to frontier in Sub-Saharan Africa," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 54, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Charles R. Hulten & Sylaja Srinivasan, 1999. "Indian Manufacturing Industry: Elephant or Tiger? New Evidence on the Asian Miracle," NBER Working Papers 7441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rumen Dobrinsky, 2003. "Convergence in Per Capita Income Levels, Productivity Dynamics and Real Exchange Rates in the EU Acceding Countries," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 305-334, September.
- R. Paci & R. Pala & E. Marrocu, 2000. "Estimation of total factor productivity for regions and sectors in Italy. A panel cointegration approach," Working Paper CRENoS 200016, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Johanna Vogel, 2012. "The Two Faces of R&D and Human Capital: Evidence from Western European Regions," Economics Series Working Papers 599, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mishra, Tapas & Jumah, Adusei & Parhi, Mamata, 2008. "Age-structured Human Capital and Spatial Total Factor Productivity Dynamics," Economics Series 226, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Rosa Bernardini Papalia & Silvia Bertarelli, 2013. "Nonlinearities in economic growth and club convergence," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1171-1202, June.
- MG. Ladu, 2006. "Total Factor Productivity Estimates: Some Evidence from European Regions," Working Paper CRENoS 200606, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.