A Competence-based Theory of the Firm
AbstractThe research question of the article is: Does the competence-based view, representing a theory of sustaining competitive advantage, offer simultaneously a comprehensive theory of the firm? In order to develop an answer, it appears to be necessary to elaborate the theoretical basis of the competence-based view by delimitating this perspective from the resource-based one. The scrutiny suggests that the competence-based view represents a theory of the firm with other answers than current theories of the firm in use. Moreover, not all the answers of the competence-based view as to the theory of the firm are convincing. Therefore, fundamental weaknesses and shortcomings, which can be dispelled, are pointed out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rainer Hampp Verlag in its journal Management Revue - The international Review of Management Studies.
Volume (Year): 15 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.hampp-verlag.de/
Postal: Rainer Hampp Verlag, Marktplatz 5, 86415 Mering, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- J53 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Labor-Management Relations; Industrial Jurisprudence
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luukkonen, Terttu, 2008. "Different Types of Venture Capital Investors and Value-added to High-Tech Portfolio Firms," Discussion Papers 1149, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Alperovych, Yan & Hübner, Georges, 2011. "Explaining returns on venture capital backed companies: Evidence from Belgium," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 277-295, September.
- António Madureira & Nico Baken & Harry Bouwman, 2011. "Value of digital information networks: a holonic framework," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 1-30, April.
- Moldaschl, Manfred, 2011. "Warum Gazellen nachts nicht leuchten: Evolutorische Theorie der Unternehmung," Papers and Preprints of the Department of Innovation Research and Sustainable Resource Management 1/2011, Chemnitz University of Technology, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Prause, Gunnar (Ed.), 2010. "Regional networking as success factor in the transformation processes of maritime industry: Experiences and perspectives from Baltic Sea countries," Wismar Discussion Papers 07/2010, Hochschule Wismar, Wismar Business School.
- Reuter, Ute, 2011. "Der relationale ressourcenbasierte Ansatz als Weiterentwicklung des ressourcenbasierten Ansatzes unter Einbezug externer Ressourcen," Research Papers on Innovation, Services and Technology 4/2011, University of Stuttgart, Institute of Business Administration, Department I - Institute of Research & Development and Innovation Management.
- Frohwein, Torsten & Burr, Wolfgang, 2011. "Emerging issues in the further development of the resource-based view of the firm," Research Papers on Innovation, Services and Technology 1/2011, University of Stuttgart, Institute of Business Administration, Department I - Institute of Research & Development and Innovation Management.
- Burmann, Christoph & Jost-Benz, Marc & Riley, Nicola, 2009. "Towards an identity-based brand equity model," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 390-397, March.
- Schwalje, Wes, 2012. "Rethinking How Establishment Skills Surveys Can More Effectively Identify Workforce Skills Gaps," MPRA Paper 37192, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moldaschl, Manfred, 2010. "Das Elend des Kompetenzbegriffs: Kompetenzkonstrukte in der aktuellen Unternehmenstheorie," Papers and Preprints of the Department of Innovation Research and Sustainable Resource Management 3/2010, Chemnitz University of Technology, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Triguero, Ángela & Córcoles, David, 2013. "Understanding innovation: An analysis of persistence for Spanish manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 340-352.
- Pierre Barbaroux, 2009. "On the nature and logics of innovation capabilities within knowledge-intensive environments: a case study," Journal of Innovation Economics, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 169-188.
- Moldaschl, Manfred, 2007. "Institutional reflexivity," Papers and Preprints of the Department of Innovation Research and Sustainable Resource Management 2/2007, Chemnitz University of Technology, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Reuter, Ute, 2011. "Der ressourcenbasierte Ansatz als theoretischer Bezugsrahmen: Grundlagen, Theoriebausteine und Prozessorientierung," Research Papers on Innovation, Services and Technology 3/2011, University of Stuttgart, Institute of Business Administration, Department I - Institute of Research & Development and Innovation Management.
- Hallensleben, Tobias & Jain, Anil K. & Manger, Daniela & Moldaschl, Manfred, 2011. "Innovationskompetenz und Performanz," Papers and Preprints of the Department of Innovation Research and Sustainable Resource Management 3/2011, Chemnitz University of Technology, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Robert Zich, 2009. "Strategic Development of Competitive Advantages in Success- Ability Concept in Connection with Resource Based View and Core Competencies," Ekonomika a Management, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(3).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rainer Hampp).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.