Conditional Efficiency Estimation With Environmental Variables: Evidence From Greek Cereal Farms
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to assess technical efficiency of cereal production in Greece in a nonparametric framework while accounting for a set of exogenous variables. To this end, we implement robust partial frontier techniques on a sample of cereal-producing farms included in the Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN). Moreover, we assess the partial impacts of the environmental variables using non parametric regression tools.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Pitesti in its journal Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences.
Volume (Year): 11 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Nonparametric estimation; conditional efficiency; cereal farms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Luiza Badin & Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2008.
"Optimal Bandwidth Selection for Conditional Efficiency Measures: a Data-driven Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2008/22, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Badin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2010. "Optimal bandwidth selection for conditional efficiency measures: A data-driven approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 633-640, March.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Cazals, Catherine & Dudley, Paul & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Patel, S. & Rodriguez, Frank, 2006. "Delivery Offices Cost Frontier: a Robust Non Parametric Approach with Exogenous Variables," IDEI Working Papers 406, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Richard Schoney & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2001.
"Technical Efficiency, Technological Change and Output Growth of Wheat Farms in Saskatchewan,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 49(2), pages 135-152, 07.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Richard Schoney & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 1999. "Technical Efficiency, Technological Change and Output Growth of Wheat Farms in Saskatchewan," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 47(4), pages 468-469, December.
- Kristof DE WITTE & Mika KORTELAINEN, 2008. "Blaming the exogenous environment? Conditional efficiency estimation with continuous and discrete environmental variables," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0833, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Paolo Sckokai & Daniele Moro, 2006. "Modeling the Reforms of the Common Agricultural Policy for Arable Crops under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 43-56.
- Daouia, Abdelaati & Simar, Leopold, 2007. "Nonparametric efficiency analysis: A multivariate conditional quantile approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 375-400, October.
- Aragon, Y. & Daouia, A. & Thomas-Agnan, C., 2005. "Nonparametric Frontier Estimation: A Conditional Quantile-Based Approach," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 358-389, April.
- Peter Hall & Jeff Racine & Qi Li, 2004. "Cross-Validation and the Estimation of Conditional Probability Densities," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1015-1026, December.
- Cazals Catherine & Dudley Paul & Florens Jean-Pierre & Patel Shital & Rodriguez Frank, 2008. "Delivery Offices Cost Frontier: A Robust Non Parametric Approach with Exogenous Variables," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-15, June.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2007. "Technical Efficiency in Organic and Conventional Farming: Evidence from Italian Cereal Farms," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1), January.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Leopold, 2006. "A robust nonparametric approach to evaluate and explain the performance of mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 516-542, November.
- Roberta Blass Staub & Geraldo da Silva e Souza, 2007. "A Probabilistic Approach for Assessing the Significance of Contextual Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: an Application for Brazilian Banks," Working Papers Series 150, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Laure Latruffe & Sophia Davidova & Kelvin Balcombe, 2008. "Application of a double bootstrap to investigation of determinants of technical efficiency of farms in Central Europe," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 183-191, April.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Logica Banica).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.