100 Years Since the Birth of George Stigler
AbstractThe paper is concerned with the economic theory of George Stigler. First part outlines the life of George Stigler. Second part examines his dissertation "Production and Distribution Theories" (1941). Third part discusses his textbook "The Theory of Price" (1946). Forth part is devoted to his "Essays in the History of Economics" (1965). Fifth part analyzes the work "The Organization of Industry" (1968). Sixth part explains "The Theory of Economic Regulation" (1971). Seventh part discusses Stigler´s book "The Citizen and the State" (1975). Eighth part presents his autobiography "Memoirs of an Unregulated Economist" (1988). Stigler has become famous thanks to articles "Economics of Information" (1961) and "Theory of Economic Regulation" (1971), which says that interest groups and other political participants will use the regulatory and coercive powers of government to shape laws and regulations in a way that is beneficial to them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Politická ekonomie.
Volume (Year): 2011 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B21 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Microeconomics
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stigler, George J., 1983. "The Organization of Industry," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226774329, April.
- Wesley J. Yordon, 1992. "Stigler's Adaptable and Indivisible Plant and the Micro/Macro Schism," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 455-470, Summer.
- Sowell, Thomas, 1993. "A Student's Eye View of George Stigler," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 784-92, October.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1993. "George J. Stigler: Midcentury Neoclassicalist with a Passion to Quantify," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 793-808, October.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1993. "George J. Stigler and the Industrial Organization of Economic Thought," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 809-17, October.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1993. "George Stigler's Contribution to the Economic Analysis of Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 818-32, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.