Predicting Money Multiplier in Pakistan
AbstractThe paper has developed time-series models for the monthly money multiplier and its components, viz., currency-deposit ratio, reserve-deposit ratio, etc. A comparison is made between the predictive performance of the aggregate multiplier and the component models. It is found that the projected values of the multiplier on the basis of the aggregate model are closer to actual values as compared to those worked out on the basis of the component models. Thus, for the purposes of projecting the money multiplier, it may be preferable to focus on the aggregate money multiplier model. Stability tests, applied to the identified models for each component and the overall multiplier, suggest that all the models are stable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 39 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. W. Hafer & Scott E. Hein, 1983.
"Predicting the money multiplier: forecasts from component and aggregate models,"
1983-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Hafer, R. W. & Hein, Scott E., 1984. "Predicting the money multiplier : Forecasts from component and aggregate models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 375-384, November.
- Buttler, H. -J. & Gorgerat, J. -F. & Schiltknecht, H. & Schiltknecht, K., 1979. "A multiplier model for controlling the money stock," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 327-341, July.
- S.M. Mazahir Hasnain Hamdani, 1976. "Money Multiplier As a Determinant of Money Supply: The Case of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 15(2), pages 211-217.
- Johannes, James M. & Rasche, Robert H., 1979. "Predicting the money multiplier," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 301-325, July.
- Michele Fratianni & Mustapha Nabli, 1979. "Money stock control in the EEC countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 115(3), pages 401-424, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.