Producer Turnover and Productivity Growth in Developing Countries
AbstractThe reallocation of resources, either across sectors or across producers within a sector, can serve as a potential source of productivity growth. New research findings exploit comprehensive microeconomic data on the manufacturing sectors of Chile, Colombia, and Morocco to document resource shifts as producers enter, expand, contract, and exit operation. The micro-level adjustment is substantial; between 25 and 30 percent of the total number of manufacturing jobs turn over each year. In the short run, the productivity effects of this turnover are modest because the new plants that come on line are only slightly more productive than the ones they replace‹and both are typically small. In the longer term, however, the turnover generates more substantial increases in productivity because the new firms that survive record substantial productivity gains in their early years. Moreover, firms that exit are typically on a downward productivity spiral and would probably have dragged down sectoral efficiency farther if they had continued in operation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1991.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
NBER Working Papers
3922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Papers 92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Tybout, James R, 1992. "Linking Trade and Productivity: New Research Directions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 189-211, May.
- repec:att:wimass:8904 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dani Rodrik, 1988. "Imperfect Competition, Scale Economies, and Trade Policy in Developing Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Trade Policy Issues and Empirical Analysis, pages 109-144 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A, 1992. "Entry, Exit, and Firm Dynamics in Long Run Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1127-50, September.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Pursell, Garry, 1990. "Industrial Sickness, Primary and Secondary: The Effects of Exit Constraints on Industrial Performance," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 103-14, January.
- Jordi Brandts & Ayça Ebru Giritligil, 2006.
"Entry and Market Selection of Firms: A Laboratory Study,"
299, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Brandts, Jordi & Giritligil, Ayça Ebru, 2008. "Entry and market selection of firms: A laboratory study," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(3-4), pages 593-612, December.
- Jordi Brandts & Ayça Ebru Giritligil, 2006. "Entry and Market Selection of Firms: A Laboratory Study," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 690.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jonathan Goyette, 2012. "Optimal tax threshold: the consequences on efficiency of official vs. effective enforcement," Cahiers de recherche 12-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger & Stefano Scarpetta, 2004.
"Microeconomic Evidence of Creative Destruction in Industrial and Developing Countries,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-114/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bartelsman, Eric & Haltiwanger, John C. & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2004. "Microeconomic Evidence of Creative Destruction in Industrial and Developing Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1374, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bartelsman, Eric & Haltiwanger, John & Scarpetta1, Stefano, 2004. "Microeconomic evidence of creative destruction in industrial and developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3464, The World Bank.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 2002.
"The Link Between Aggregate and Micro Productivity Growth: Evidence from Retail Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
9120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C.J. Krizan & John Haltiwanger & Lucia Foster, 2002. "The Link Between Aggregate and Micro Productivity Growth: Evidence from Retail Trade," Working Papers 02-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Jos� Miguel Benavente & Alexander Galetovic & Ricardo Sanhueza, 2005. "La din�mica industrial y el financiamiento de las pyme," Documentos de Trabajo 201, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Jaan Masso & Raul Eamets & Kaia Philips, 2004. "Firm Demographics And Productivity Dynamics In Estonia," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 25, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Grabiella Berloffa & Maria Luigia Segnana, 2004. "Trade, inequality and pro-poor growth: Two perspectives, one message?," Department of Economics Working Papers 0408, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Jonathan Goyette & Giovanni Gallipoli, 2012. "Distortions, Efficiency and the Size Distribution of Firms," Cahiers de recherche 12-06, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Hoekman & Bernard & Winters, L. Alan, 2005.
"Trade and employment : stylized facts and research findings,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3676, The World Bank.
- Bernard Hoekman & Alan L. Winters, 2005. "Trade and Employment: Stylized Facts and Research Findings," Working Papers 7, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Ligia Alba Melo & Carlos Andrés Ballesteros, 2013.
"Creación, destrucción y reasignación del empleo en el sector manufacturero colombiano,"
Revista de Economía Institucional,
Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 15(28), pages 281-311, January-J.
- Ligia Alba melo B. & Carlos Adrés Ballesteros R, 2012. "Creación, destrucción y reasignación del empleo en el sector manufacturero colombiano," Borradores de Economia 699, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Alba Melo B & Carlos Andrés Ballesteros R, 2012. "Creación, destrucción y reasignación del empleo en el sector manufacturero colombiano," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009407, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Hagemejer, Jan, 2007. "Factors driving the firms decision to export. Firm-level evidence from Poland," MPRA Paper 17717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kalonga Stambuli, 2002. "Political Change, Economic Transition and Catalysis of IMF and World Bank Models - the case of Malawi," Macroeconomics 0211003, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.