Decoupled Farm Payments and Expectations for Base Updating
AbstractThe degree to which U.S. farm programs are decoupled from production has been a central issue in recent trade disputes. Several authors have suggested producer expectations for base acreage and yield updating in future farm bills create an incentive to alter planting and input decisions. This article reports analysis of the subjective expectations of producers for base updating and an analysis of the effect these expectations have on producer willingness to accept a buyout of the right to update. On average, producers think the chances of updating in the next farm bill are about 40%, but less than 17% indicate adjusting acreage or yields in anticipation of updating. Copyright 2008, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bhaskar, Arathi & Beghin, John C., 2009.
"How Coupled Are Decoupled Farm Payments? A Review of the Evidence,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(1), April.
- Bhaskar, Arathi & Beghin, John C., 2007. "How Coupled Are Decoupled Farm Payments? A Review of the Evidence," Staff General Research Papers 12841, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Peckham, Janet G. & Kropp, Jaclyn D., 2012. "Decoupled Direct Payments under Base Acreage and Yield Updating Uncertainty: An Investigation of Agricultural Chemical Use," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 41(2), August.
- Howley, Peter & Breen, James & Donoghue, Cathal O. & Hennessy, Thia, 2012. "Does the single farm payment affect farmersâ€™ behaviour? A macro and micro analysis," International Journal of Agricultural Management, Institute of Agricultural Management & International Farm Management Association, vol. 2(1), October.
- Bhaskar, Arathi & Beghin, John C., 2008. "Decoupled farm payments and the Role of Base Updating under uncertainty," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6339, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.