The Effect of the Northeast Dairy Compact on Producers and Consumers, with Implications of Compact Contagion
AbstractWe model and measure the effects of the Northeast Dairy Compact on prices, quantities, and producer and consumer welfare, underscoring the distribution of these effects across regions and among producers and buyers. Using 1999 as a base year, simulations show that the Compact raised the farm price of milk in the Northeast by $0.45/cwt, lowered the farm price of milk in the rest of the country by $0.02/cwt, and transferred income from producers outside the Compact region and buyers in the Compact region to producers in the Compact region. Non-Compact producer losses exceeded Compact producer gains. Similar results are found for a scenario of Compact contagion—extension of the Compact to include additional states. In both cases, the Compact changed the distribution of the costs and benefits of price discrimination as practiced by milk marketing orders. The regional distribution of the Compact's welfare effects raises again the question of the organization and stability of the federal milk marketing order system. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Balagtas, Joseph V. & Sumner, Daniel A., 2003. "The Effect of the Northeast Dairy Compact on Producers and Consumers, with Implications of Compact Contagion," Working paper 206, Regulation2point0.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chidmi, Benaissa & Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 2004.
"Retail Oligopoly Power, Dairy Compact, And Boston Milk Prices,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
083, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Benaissa Chidmi & Rigoberto A. Lopez & Ronald W. Cotterill, 2005. "Retail oligopoly power, dairy compact, and Boston milk prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 477-491.
- Chidmi, Benaissa & Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 2004. "Retail Oligopoly Power, Dairy Compact, And Boston Milk Prices," Research Reports 25212, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2005. "The impact of the Northeast Dairy Compact on New England consumers: A report from the milk policy wars," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 455-471.
- Alston, Julian M. & Sumner, Daniel A. & Balagtas, Joseph Valdes & Brunke, Henrich, 2004. "Economic Implications Of The Australia-U.S. Free Trade Agreement For U.S. Dairy Markets And Domestic Dairy Farm Programs," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20164, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Dhar, Tirtha Pratim, 2003. "Oligopoly Pricing with Differentiated Products: The Boston Fluid Milk Market Channel," Research Reports 25189, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 2003. "The Impact of the Northeastern Dairy Compact on New England Consumers: A Report from the Milk Policy Wars," Research Reports 25171, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Alston, Julian M. & Balagtas, Joseph Valdes & Brunke, Henrich & Sumner, Daniel A., 2006. "Supply and demand for commodity components: implications of free trade versus the AUSFTA for the US dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.