Quotas without Supply Control: Effects of Dairy Quota Policy in California
AbstractUnlike the federal milk marketing order system, California's system includes a milk quota program. Oddly, this quota restricts neither production nor marketing. In aggregate, the quota program leads to more milk production than a typical marketing quota, but less milk than blend pricing without the quota. The California program generates more producer surplus and smaller welfare losses than a federal-style program without quota. When class 1 milk sales expand, production expands less under the quota program than with blend pricing without a quota. Finally, increases in aggregate quota lower production because they lower the marginal price of milk facing producers. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sumner, Daniel A., 1995. "Farm Programs And Related Policy In The United States," Understanding Canada\United States Grain Disputes; Proceedings of the 1st Canada\U.S. Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshop - 1995 16742, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis & Swinnen, Jo, 2012.
"Income Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments: Single Payment Scheme in the European Union,"
Factor Markets Working Papers
134, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2008. "Static and Dynamic Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments: Single Farm Payments in the European Union," LICOS Discussion Papers 20708, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs & Johan Swinnen, 2010.
"EU Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_47, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2012. "European Union Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126683, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wilson, Norbert L.W. & Sumner, Daniel A. & Havenner, Arthur M., 1997. "Time Series Analysis of a Policy-Created Asset: The Case of the California Dairy Quota," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35926, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Balagtas, Joseph Valdes & Sumner, Daniel A., 2004. "Milk Marketing Orders And Milk Sanitation Regulation: Re-Evaulating Marketing Orders' Welfare Effects," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20399, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chau, Nancy H. & de Gorter, Harry, 2001.
"Disentandling the Consequences of Direct Payment Schemes in Agriculture on Fixed Costs, Exit Decisions and Output,"
127663, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Nancy H. Chau & Harry de Gorter, 2005. "Disentangling the Consequences of Direct Payment Schemes in Agriculture on Fixed Costs, Exit Decisions, and Output," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1174-1181.
- Tozer, Peter R. & Huffaker, Ray G., 1999. "Dairy Deregulation And Low-Input Dairy Production: A Bioeconomic Evaluation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Just, David R. & Kropp, Jaclyn D., 2009. "Production Incentives from Static Decoupling: Entry, Exit and Use Exclusion Restrictions," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49158, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bailey, Kenneth W., 2000. "Evaluating The Economic Impacts Of Regional Milk Pricing Authorities: The Case Of Dairy Compacts," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(2), October.
- Van Herck, Kristine & Vranken, Liesbet, 2011.
"Direct payments and rent extraction by land owners: Evidence form New Member States,"
122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy
99583, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Van Herck, Kristine & Vranken, Liesbet, 2011. "Direct Payments and Rent Extraction by Land Owners: Evidence from New Member States," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115543, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vranken, Liesbet & Van Herck, Kristine, 2013.
"Direct Payments and Land Rents: Evidence from New Member States,"
Factor Markets Working Papers
175, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Van Herck, Kristine & Vranken, Liesbet, 2012. "Direct Payments and Land Rents: Evidence from New Member States," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126777, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sumner, Daniel A. & Hallstrom, Daniel G., 1997. "Commodity Policy Compatibility With Free Trade Agreements," Harmonization\Convergence\Compatibility in Agriculture and Agri-Food Policy: Canada, United States and Mexico; Proceedings of the 3rd Ag... 1997 16914, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Kropp, Jaclyn D. & Whitaker, James B., 2009. "The Impact of Decoupled Payments on the Cost of Operating Capital," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49311, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jaclyn D. Kropp & James B. Whitaker, 2011. "The impact of decoupled payments on the cost of operating capital," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 25-40, May.
- Sumner, Daniel A. & Wilson, Norbert L.W., 1999. "A Static Policy For A Dynamic Industry: The California Young Act Of 1935," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21566, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.