Modelling Reality: The Need for Both Inter-temporal Optimization and Stickiness in Models for Policy-Making
AbstractThere is a thriving debate on the usefulness of economic models for policy analysis which this paper explores. It argues that there is a need for models that incorporate both the modern intertemporal approach to macroeconomics and short-run ad-hoc behaviour. This need cannot be met by the simple models that permeate the macroeconomics literature, but requires large-scale simulation models such as the MSG2 and G-Cubed multi-country models. In particular, it is shown that the approach of these models gives insights into the adjustment into a number of historical episodes that are not well explained by simple macroeconomic frameworks: Reaganomics in the 1980s; German reunification in the early 1990s; fiscal consolidation in Europe in the 1990s; the formation of NAFTA; the Asian Crisis; and the current productivity boom in the USA. The paper also argues that using a well-defined theoretical specification but introducing real-world rigidities can also go some way towards explaining the so-called "six major puzzles in international macroeconomics" highlighted in a recent paper by Obstfeld and Rogoff (2000). Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & David Vines, 2003. "Changes in Equity Risk Perceptions: Global Consequences and Policy Responses," Departmental Working Papers 2003-15, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Goyal, Ashima, 2002. "Coordinating monetary and fiscal policies: a role for rules?," MPRA Paper 29200, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Satish Chand, 2001. "How misaligned is the Australian real exchange rate?," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec01-2, International and Development Economics.
- Warwick McKibbin & Andrew B Stoeckel & YingYing Lu, 2012.
"Global Fiscal Adjustment and Trade Rebalancing,"
CAMA Working Papers
2012-12, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Matthieu Bussiere & Georgios Chortareas & Rebecca Driver, 2003.
"Current Accounts, Net Foreign Assets and the Implications of Cyclical Factors,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 269-286, Spring.
- Matthieu Bussiere & Georgios Chortareas & Rebecca L Driver, 2003. "Current accounts, net foreign assets and the implications of cyclical factors," Bank of England working papers 173, Bank of England.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 2013. "A Global Approach to Energy and the Environment," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, Elsevier.
- Tim Callen & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2001. "Policies and Prospects in Japan and the Implications for the Asia-Pacific Region," IMF Working Papers 01/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Adam Cagliarini & Warwick McKibbin, 2009.
"Global Relative Price Shocks: The Role of Macroeconomic Policies,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2009-10, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Adam Cagliarini & Warwick McKibbin, 2010. "Global Relative Price Shocks: The Role of Macroeconomic Policies," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Renée Fry & Callum Jones & Christopher Kent (ed.), Inflation in an Era of Relative Price Shocks Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Dalton, Michael & O'Neill, Brian & Prskawetz, Alexia & Jiang, Leiwen & Pitkin, John, 2008. "Population aging and future carbon emissions in the United States," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 642-675, March.
- McCallum, Bennett T & Nelson, Edward, 2000.
"Monetary Policy for an Open Economy: An Alternative Framework with Optimizing Agents and Sticky Prices,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(4), pages 74-91, Winter.
- McCallum, Bennett T & Nelson, Edward, 2001. "Monetary Policy for an Open Economy: An Alternative Framework with Optimizing Agents and Sticky Prices," CEPR Discussion Papers 2756, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bennett T McCallum & Edward Nelson, 2001. "Monetary Policy for an Open Economy: An Alternative Framework with Optimising Agents and Sticky Prices," Discussion Papers 05, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Edward Nelson, 2001. "Monetary Policy for an Open Economy: An Alternative Framework with Optimizing Agents and Sticky Prices," NBER Working Papers 8175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ryo Kato, 2001. "Matlab code for the McCallum/Nelson model," QM&RBC Codes 111, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Kang Yong Tan, 2006.
"Learning And International Transmission Shocks,"
CAMA Working Papers
2007-01, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Yung Chul Park & Warwick J. Mc Kibbin & Jong-Wha Lee, 2004. "Les déséquilibres transpacifiques vus d’Asie de l’Est," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 77(4), pages 81-109.
- Sujit Kapadia, 2003. "The Capital Stock and Equilibrium Unemployment: A New Theoretical Perspective," Economics Series Working Papers 181, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Wing Thye Woo, 2003.
"The Consequences of China's WTO Accession on its Neighbors,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-17, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Wing Thye Woo, 2003. "The Consequences of China's WTO Accession for Its Neighbors," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 2(2), pages 1-38.
- Philip Lowe & Warwick McKibbin, 2003. "Discussion of 'Asset Prices, Financial Imbalances and Monetary Policy: Are Inflation Targets Enough?' and 'What the FOMC Says and Does When the Stock Market Booms'," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Anthony Richards & Tim Robinson (ed.), Asset Prices and Monetary Policy Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jorg Scheibe, 2003. "The Chinese Output Gap During the Reform Period 1978-2002," Economics Series Working Papers 179, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tim Callen & Warwick J. McKibbin & Nicoletta Batini, 2006. "The Global Impact of Demographic Change," IMF Working Papers 06/9, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.