The Term Structure of Interest Rates in the London Interbank Market
AbstractThe authors test the conjecture that the highly competitive nature of the London interbank market will result in longer-term rates determined primarily by expectations of future short-term rates. In so doing, the authors employ both cointegration tests and the vector autoregressive approach proposed by J. Y. Campbell and R. J. Shiller. Their results are generally supportive of the expectations hypothesis and, in contrast to all previous studies which have employed the vector autoregressive approach, the authors cannot reject the restrictions implied by the expectations hypothesis. The only indication of marginal deviations from the expectations hypothesis may be found at the very short end of the interbank spectrum. Copyright 1995 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 47 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Silva Lopes, Artur C. & Monteiro, Olga Susana, 2007.
"The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure: Some Empirical Evidence for Portugal,"
6310, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Dec 2007.
- Silva Lopes, Artur C. & M. Monteiro, Olga Susana, 2007. "The expectations hypothesis of the term structure: some empirical evidence for Portugal," MPRA Paper 3437, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bredin, Don & Cuthbertson, Keith, 2000.
"The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure: The Case of Ireland,"
Research Technical Papers
1/RT/00, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Keith Cuthbertson & Don Bredin, 2000. "The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure - The Case of Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 267-281.
- Jondeau, E. & Sedillot, F., 1998. "La prevision des taux longs français et allemands a partir d'un modele a anticipations rationnelles," Working papers 55, Banque de France.
- Bredin, Don, 2001. "Alternative Tests of the Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Research Technical Papers 2/RT/01, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Olga Susana M. Monteiro & Artur C. B. da Silva Lopes, 2010.
"Short- and Long-Run Tests of the Expectations Hypothesis: The Portuguese Case,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 56(3), pages 257-280.
- Silva Lopes, Artur C. B. da & Monteiro, Olga Susana, 2008. "Short and long run tests of the expectations hypothesis: the Portuguese case," MPRA Paper 12001, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Hayes, Simon & Nitzsche, Dirk, 2000. "Are German money market rates well behaved?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 347-360, March.
- Brooks, Chris & Rew, Alistair G., 2002. "Testing for non-stationarity and cointegration allowing for the possibility of a structural break: an application to EuroSterling interest rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 65-90, January.
- Jelena Zubkova, 2003. "Interest Rate Term Structure in Latvia in the Monetary Policy Context," Working Papers 2003/03, Latvijas Banka.
- S. Lardic & V. Mignon, 2002. "Fractional cointegration and term structure of interest rates," THEMA Working Papers 2002-28, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jondeau, Eric & Ricart, Roland, 1999. "The expectations hypothesis of the term structure: tests on US, German, French, and UK Euro-rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 725-750, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.