The Term Structure of Interest Rates in the UK
AbstractThis paper presents new tests of the efficient markets view of the interest rate term structure utilizing recently developed cointegration methodology in a bivariate autoregressive system consisting of the "spread" between long and short interest rates and the change in the Treasury Bill rate. The efficient markets restrictions on the bivariate autoregressive system are supported by U.K. data from 1963:1 to 1987:1. Further support is obtained from som e simple Granger-causality tests. However, volatility statistics give rather mixed results. On balance, the authors' findings suggest a risk-adjusted expectations approach to the term structure. Copyright 1988 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd and the Board of Trustees of the Bulletin of Economic Research
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Bulletin of Economic Research.
Volume (Year): 40 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0307-3378
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brooks, Chris & Rew, Alistair G., 2002. "Testing for non-stationarity and cointegration allowing for the possibility of a structural break: an application to EuroSterling interest rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 65-90, January.
- Magdalena Massot Perelló & Juan M. Nave Pineda, 2003. "La hipótesis de las expectativas en el largo plazo: evidencia en el mercado español de deuda pública," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(3), pages 533-564, September.
- Anonymous, 1993. "Expectations and the term structure of interest rates," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 56, December.
- A. Arize & J. Malindretos & Z. Obi, 2002. "Long- and short-term interest rates in 19 countries: Tests of cointegration and parameter instability," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 30(2), pages 105-120, June.
- Stefan Gerlach, 1996. "Monetary policy and the behaviour of interest rates: are long rates excessively volatile?," BIS Working Papers 34, Bank for International Settlements.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Otero, Jesús & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2011.
"The term structure of interest rates, the expectations hypothesis and international financial integration: Evidence from Asian economies,"
International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 679-689, October.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates, the Expectations Hypothesis and International Financial Integration: Evidence from Asian Economies," Working Paper Series, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis 34_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis & Jesus Otero, 2010. "The term structure of interest rates, the expectations hypothesis and international financial integration: Evidence from Asian Economies," Discussion Paper Series 2010_18, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Nov 2009.
- Shen Chung-Hua, 1998. "The Term Structure of Taiwan Money Market Rates And Rational Expectation," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 105-119.
- Ross Guest & Alan McLean, 1998. "New evidence on the expectations theory of the term structure of Australian Commonwealth Government Treasury yields," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 81-87.
- Kamae, Hiroshi, 1989. "Wald Tests of the Pure Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Hitotsubashi Journal of commerce and management, Hitotsubashi University, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 24(1), pages 53-63, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.