The Term Structure of Interest Rates and Financial Integration in the ERM
AbstractIn this paper we examine the relationship between the term structure of interest rates for six major European Union countries, to discover if the Exchange Rate Mechanism has lead to a converging of domestic term structures. We test this hypothesis using a model of international interest rate parity and three alternative econometric methods. We find that there is evidence of inter-dependence of domestic term structures implying that not only are European monetary polices converging but also that the appropriate model of the term structure is one with an explicit open economy dimension. Copyright @ 1997 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Minoas Koukouritakis & Leo Michelis, 2006. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates in the European Union," Working Papers 0611, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Minoas Koukouritakis & Leo Michelis, 2005. "Term Structure Linkages Among the New EU Countries and the EMU," Working Papers 0515, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Otero, Jesús & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2011.
"The term structure of interest rates, the expectations hypothesis and international financial integration: Evidence from Asian economies,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 679-689, October.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates, the Expectations Hypothesis and International Financial Integration: Evidence from Asian Economies," Working Paper Series 34_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis & Jesus Otero, 2010. "The term structure of interest rates, the expectations hypothesis and international financial integration: Evidence from Asian Economies," Discussion Paper Series 2010_18, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Nov 2009.
- Minoas Koukouritakis & Leo Michelis, 2005. "The Term Structures of Interest Rates in the New and Prospective EU Countries," Working Papers 0505, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.