Apprenticeships and Job Tenure
AbstractThis paper examines British apprenticeships, their incidence, and their impact on labor mobility using the National Child Development Study Sweep 4. The apprenticeship was the principal form of training received by male school leavers at age sixteen in the 1970s. The paper estimates the determinants of male apprenticeship receipt and of apprenticeship termination. A competing-risks model of employment duration is also estimated in order to examine the impact of apprenticeships on tenure and job mobility. Copyright 1994 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 46 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liliane Bonnal & David Clément & Sylvie Mendes, 2005. "Access To a First Job in The 1990s: The Case of Apprentices and Secondary School Pupils," Economie et Statistique, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, vol. 378, pages 35-53, July.
- Christian Dustmann & Arthur Soest, 2007.
"Part-time work, school success and school leaving,"
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 277-299, May.
- Dustmann, C. & Rajah, N. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1996. "Part-Time Work, School Success and School Leaving," Discussion Paper 1996-43, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dustmann, C. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2007. "Part-time work, school success and school leaving," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-355917, Tilburg University.
- Christian Dustmann & Najma Rajah & Athur van Soest, 1996. "Part-time Work, School Success and School Leaving," Discussion Papers 96-19 ISSN 1350-6722, University College London, Department of Economics.
- Steven McIntosh, 1999.
"A Cross-Country Comparison of the Determinants of Vocational Training,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0432, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Steven McIntosh, 1999. "A cross-country comparison of the determinants of vocational training," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20213, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Green, Francis, 2000. "The Impact of Company Human Resource Policies on Social Skills: Implications for Training Sponsorship, Quit Rates and Efficiency Wages," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(3), pages 251-72, August.
- Andrew Sharpe & James Gibson, 2005. "The Apprenticeship System in Canada: Trends and Issues," CSLS Research Reports 2005-04, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Alison L. Booth, 2000. "Union status of young men in Britain: a decade of change," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 289-310.
- Lars Vilhuber, 1997. "Sector-Specific On-the-Job Training: Evidence from U.S. Data," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-42, CIRANO.
- Alexandre Léné, 2002. "Enterprise-related training and poaching externalities," Post-Print halshs-00150509, HAL.
- Blatter, Marc & Mühlemann, Samuel & Schenker, Samuel & Wolter, Stefan C., 2012. "Hiring Costs of Skilled Workers and the Supply of Firm-Provided Training," IZA Discussion Papers 6344, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- VILHUBERT, Lars, 1999. "Sector-Specific on-the-Job Training: Evidence from U.S. Data," Cahiers de recherche 9906, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Alan Felstead & Francis Green & Ken Mayhew & Alan Pack, 1999. "The Impact of Training on Labour Mobility," Studies in Economics 9910, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Cihan Bilginsoy, 2005. "Delivering Skills: Apprenticeship Program Sponsorship and Transition from Training," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2005_01, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Alexandre Léné, 2005. "Détournements de main-d'œuvre et externalités de la formation dans un modèle de concurrence imparfaite," Post-Print halshs-00150687, HAL.
- Gavan Conlon, 2002. "The Determinants of Undertaking Academic and Vocational Qualifications in the UK," CEE Discussion Papers 0020, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Muehlemann, Samuel & Pfeifer, Harald & Walden, Günter & Wenzelmann, Felix & Wolter, Stefan C., 2010. "The financing of apprenticeship training in the light of labor market regulations," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 799-809, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.