Joint production under uncertainty and multifunctionality of agriculture: policy considerations and applied analysis
AbstractThe impact of various policy instruments on the production of environmental goods that are complementary to or competing with agricultural commodities is analysed in the light of the uncertainty in output prices and farmers' risk aversion. Some theoretical assessments are first summarised and then tested on a case study concerning beef and grassland biodiversity production in Monts du Cantal, France. The results of simulations carried out by mathematical programming farm-level models show that joint commodity and non-commodity production is nearly independent of the degree of farmers' risk aversion, and that commodity-linked policy instruments are not suitable for the production of environmental goods even under uncertainty. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bamiere, Laure & David, Maia & Vermont, Bruno, 2011. "Agri-Environmental Policies When the Spatial Pattern of Biodiversity Reserves Matters," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114239, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bamière, Laure & Havlík, Petr & Jacquet, Florence & Lherm, Michel & Millet, Guy & Bretagnolle, Vincent, 2011. "Farming system modelling for agri-environmental policy design: The case of a spatially non-aggregated allocation of conservation measures," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(5), pages 891-899, March.
- Havlik, Petr & Jacquet, Florence & Boisson, Jean-Marie & Veysset, Patrick & Lherm, Michel, 2005.
"Environmental Good Production in the Optimum Activities Portfolio of a Risk Averse Farmer,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24594, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Petr Havlik & Geoffroy Enjolras & Jean-Marie Boisson & Florence Jacquet & Michel Lherm & Patrick Veysset, 2008. "Environmental good production in the optimum activities portfolio of a risk averse-farmer," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 86(1), pages 9-33.
- Mosnier, C. & Agabriel, J. & Lherm, M. & Reynaud, A., 2009. "A dynamic bio-economic model to simulate optimal adjustments of suckler cow farm management to production and market shocks in France," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 102(1-3), pages 77-88, October.
- Mosnier, Claire & Ridier, Aude & Kphaliacos, Charilaos & Carpy-Goulard, Françoise, 2009.
"Economic and environmental impact of the CAP mid-term review on arable crop farming in South-western France,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1408-1416, March.
- Claire Mosnier & Aude Ridier & Charilaos KÃ©phaliacos & FranÃ§oise Carpy-Goulard, 2009. "Economic and environmental impact of the CAP mid-term review on arable crop farming in South-western France," Working Papers 31332, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Jacquet, Florence & Butault, Jean-Pierre & Guichard, Laurence, 2010.
"An economic analysis of the possibility of reducing pesticides in French field crops,"
120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete
109382, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jacquet, Florence & Butault, Jean-Pierre & Guichard, Laurence, 2011. "An economic analysis of the possibility of reducing pesticides in French field crops," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1638-1648, July.
- Lauriane MOUYSSET (CERSP, UMR 7204, CNRS-MNHN-UPMC, SADAPT, INRA, UMR 1048) & Luc DOYEN (CERSP, UMR 7204, CNRS-MNHN-UPMC, GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Fréderic JIGUET (CERSP, UMR 7204, CNRS-MNHN-UPMC), 2012. "How does the economic risk aversion affect biodiversity?," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-03, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Veysset, P. & Lherm, M. & Bébin, D., 2010. "Energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and economic performance assessments in French Charolais suckler cattle farms: Model-based analysis and forecasts," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 41-50, January.
- Mosnier, Claire & Agabriel, Jacques & Lherm, Michel & Reynaud, Arnaud, 2008. "Assessing Economic And Technical Impacts Of Non Expected Weather Events On French Suckler Cow Farms Dynamics: A Dynamic Recursive Farm Model," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44257, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mouysset, L. & Doyen, L. & Jiguet, F. & Allaire, G. & Leger, F., 2011. "Bio economic modeling for a sustainable management of biodiversity in agricultural lands," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 617-626, February.
- Luciano Pilati & Vasco Boatto, 2013. "Bio-Economics Of Allocatable Pollination Services: Sequential Choices And Jointness In Sites," DEM Discussion Papers 2013/18, Department of Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.