A Dynamic Economic Analysis of Nitrate Leaching in Corn Production under Nonuniform Irrigation Conditions
AbstractWe develop a dynamic economic model that includes control variables for both nitrogen fertilizer and irrigation water to analyze interseasonal corn production and nitrate leaching in the presence of irrigation system nonuniformity. The economic model is used to estimate profit-maximizing nutrient management plans under varying levels of system uniformity. The model is also used to appraise several policy options that have been proposed in the nitrate leaching literature as a means of regulating water quality. Investments in technology are considered, as well as limits on nitrate leaching, nitrogen fertilizer, and irrigation water. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baerenklau, Kenneth A. & Nergis, Nermin & Schwabe, Kurt A., 2007. "Effects of Nutrient Restrictions on Confined Animal Facilities: Insights from a Structural Model," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon 10253, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Alain Ayong Le Kama & Agnès Tomini, 2012. "Water Conservation versus Soil Salinity Control," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-8, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Phoebe Koundouri, .
"Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management,"
DEOS Working Papers
0402, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Phoebe Koundouri, 2004. "Current Issues in the Economics of Groundwater Resource Management," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 703-740, December.
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2004. "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," MPRA Paper 38425, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baerenklau, Kenneth A. & Nergis, Nermin, 2006. "Controlling Dairy Nitrogen Emissions: A Dynamic Analysis of Herd Adjustment, Ground Water Discharges, and Air Emissions," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21448, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wiig, Henrik & Aune, Jens B. & Glomsrod, Solveig & Iversen, Vegard, 2001. "Structural adjustment and soil degradation in Tanzania: A CGE model approach with endogenous soil productivity," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 263-287, March.
- Hyytiäinen, Kari & Niemi, Jarkko K. & Koikkalainen, Kauko & Palosuo, Taru & Salo, Tapio, 2011. "Adaptive optimization of crop production and nitrogen leaching abatement under yield uncertainty," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(8), pages 634-644, October.
- Ribaudo, Marc O. & Heimlich, Ralph & Claassen, Roger & Peters, Mark, 2001. "Least-cost management of nonpoint source pollution: source reduction versus interception strategies for controlling nitrogen loss in the Mississippi Basin," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 183-197, May.
- Catarina Roseta-Palma, 2003. "Joint Quantity/Quality Management of Groundwater," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 89-106, September.
- Konyar, Kazim, 2001. "Assessing the role of US agriculture in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and generating additional environmental benefits," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 85-103, July.
- Roseta-Palma, Catarina, 2002. "Groundwater Management When Water Quality Is Endogenous," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 93-105, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.