Financing and Taxing New Firms under Asymmetric Information
AbstractThis paper uses a sequence of models to study the efficiency of credit-market equilibria, and the scope for welfare-improving policy interventions, when financial intermediaries cannot observe the riskiness or returns of potential investment projects by new firms. It is first shown that when only loan financing is available there is a systematic tendency towards overinvestment in high-return, high-risk projects and underinvestment in low-return, low-risk projectsrelative to the social optimum [this encompasses the well-known results of Stiglitz and Weiss (1981) and de Meza and Webb (1987) as special cases]. The ambiguity is mitigated, however, if firms have access to equity financing: there is then (under reasonable conditions) unambiguously overinvestment. Policy implications are developed, and the results extended to allow for screening and signaling equilibria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 62 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis H. B. Braido & Carlos E. da Costa & Bev Dahlby, 2011.
"Adverse Selection and Risk Aversion in Capital Markets,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 67(4), pages 303-326, December.
- Braido, Luis & da Costa, Carlos & Dahlby, Bev, 2009. "Adverse Selection and Risk Aversion in Capital Markets," Working Papers 2009-15, University of Alberta, Department of Economics, revised 24 Mar 2009.
- Vesa Kanniainen & Mikko Leppämäki, 2009. "Union power, entrepreneurial risk, and entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 293-302, October.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2010.
"Profit Taxation, Innovation and the Financing of Heterogeneous Firms,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2010
2010-01, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Ribi, Evelyn, 2010. "Profit Taxation, Innovation and the Financing of Heterogeneous Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 7626, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tuomas Takalo & Otto Toivanen, 2012. "Entrepreneurship, Financiership, and Selection," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(2), pages 601-628, 06.
- Robin Boadway & Motohiro Sato, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship and asymmetric information in input markets,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 166-192, April.
- Robin Boadway & Motohiro Sato, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Asymmetric Information in Input Markets," Working Papers 1069, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tuomas Takalo, 2012.
"Rationales and Instruments for Public Innovation Policies,"
Journal of Reviews on Global Economics,
Lifescience Global, vol. 1, pages 157-167.
- Takalo, Tuomas, 2009. "Rationales and Instruments for Public Innovation Policies," Discussion Papers 1185, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Takalo , Tuomas, 2013. "Rationales and instruments for public innovation policies," Research Discussion Papers 1/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Tuomas Takalo & Tanja Tanayama, 2010.
"Adverse selection and financing of innovation: is there a need for R&D subsidies?,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 16-41, February.
- Takalo, Tuomas & Tanayama, Tanja, 2008. "Adverse selection and financing of innovation: is there a need for R&D subsidies?," Research Discussion Papers 19/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Poutvaara, Panu, 2007.
"Imperfect Transmission of Tacit Knowledge and Other Barriers to Entrepreneurship,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2859, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vesa Kanniainen & Panu Poutvaara, 2007. "Imperfect Transmission of Tacit Knowledge and other Barriers to Entrepreneurship," CESifo Working Paper Series 2053, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.