Do Mobile Pensioners Threaten the Deferred Taxation of Savings?
AbstractWe investigate optimal taxation of lifetime income with and without an emigration option during old age. The government sets the rates of deferred taxation and of possibly reduced taxation of interest. If agents are immobile, the optimal policy consists in full deferral of income taxes on savings and a full taxation of interest. Mobility of the old calls for lower degrees of deferral and reduced taxation of interest. However, the optimum never entails full immediate taxation of savings in combination with full tax exemption on capital income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3617.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
deferred taxation; income tax; savings; migration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grochulski, Borys & Piskorski, Tomasz, 2010.
"Risky human capital and deferred capital income taxation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 908-943, May.
- Borys Grochulski & Tomasz Piskorski, 2007. "Risky human capital and deferred capital income taxation," Working Paper 06-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999.
"Capital Income Taxation when Inherited wealth is not Observable,"
IDEI Working Papers
109, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2001.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2003. "Capital income taxation when inherited wealth is not observable," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 2475-2490, October.
- CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre & ROCHET, Jean-Charles, . "Capital income taxation when inherited wealth is not observable," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1700, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre & ROCHET, Jean-Charles, 2001. "Capital income taxation when inherited wealth is not observable," CORE Discussion Papers 2001020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David F. Bradford, 2000. "Taxation, Wealth, and Saving," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262024705, January.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985.
"Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982. "Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model," Discussion Papers 572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Blumkin, Tomer & Sadka, Efraim, 2004. "Estate taxation with intended and accidental bequests," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-2), pages 1-21, January.
- John Burbidge, 2004. "Tax-deferred savings plans and interest deductibility," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(3), pages 757-767, August.
- Atkinson, A B & Sandmo, A, 1980. "Welfare Implications of the Taxation of Savings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(359), pages 529-49, September.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.