Bailey's Measure of the Welfare Costs of Inflation as a General-Equilibrium Measure
AbstractLucas (2000) has shown that Bailey's formula for the welfare costs of inflation can be regarded as an approximation to the general-equilibrium measures that emerge from the Sidrauski and the shopping-time models. In this paper we show that Bailey's measure can be exactly obtained in the Sidrauski general-equilibrium framework under the assumption of quasilinear preferences. The result, based on whether or not wealth effects are incorporated into the analysis, is also helpful in clarifying why Lucas' measure derived from the Sidrauski model turns out to be an upper bound to Bailey's. Two examples are used to illustrate the main conclusions. Copyright (c) 2009 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calza Alessandro & Zaghini Andrea, 2011.
"Welfare Costs of Inflation and the Circulation of U.S. Currency Abroad,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-21, May.
- Alessandro Calza & Andrea Zaghini, 2011. "Welfare costs of inflation and the circulation of U. S. currency abroad," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 78, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Calza, Alessandro & Zaghini, Andrea, 2011. "Welfare costs of inflation and the circulation of US currency abroad," Working Paper Series 1326, European Central Bank.
- Alessandro Calza & Andrea Zaghini, 2011. "Welfare costs of inflation and the circulation of US currency abroad," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 812, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2011.
"The n-dimensional Bailey–Divisia measure as a general-equilibrium measure of the welfare costs of inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 99-102.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2011. "The n-Dimensional Bailey-Divisia Measure as a General-Equilibrium Measure of the Welfare Costs of Inflation," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 720, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Etienne B. Yehoue, 2012. "On Price Stability and Welfare," IMF Working Papers 12/189, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.