Are Small Firms Really Less Productive?
AbstractSmall and medium-sized establishments (SMEs) account for a large proportion of industrial employment and production in almost all countries. Moreover, the recent literature emphasizes the role SMEs play in nurturing entrepreneurship and generating new products and processes. Although SMEs could be a source of new ideas and innovations, there are substantial productivity differences between small and large establishments. In this paper, we analyze three sources of productivity differentials: technical efficiency, returns to scale, and technical change. Our analysis on the creation, survival, and growth of new establishments in Turkish manufacturing industries in the period 1987–1997 shows that all these three factors play a very important role in determining the survival probability and growth prospects of new establishments. Copyright Springer 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Productivity; efficiency; innovation; firm dynamics; D24; L11; L25;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P.A. Geroski & José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2003.
"Founding Conditions and the Survival of New Firms,"
w200301, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- M.A. Carree & A.R. Thurik, 2008.
"The Lag Structure of the Impact of Business Ownership on Economic Performance in OECD Countries,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 101-110, January.
- Carree, M.A. & Thurik, A.R., 2006. "The Lag Structure of the Impact of Business Ownership on Economic Performance in OECD Countries," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-064-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, 2006. "The Lag Structure of the Impact of Business Ownership on Eco-nomic Performance in OECD Countries," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-02, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Mari Maté-Sánchez-Val & Antonia Madrid-Guijarro, 2011. "A spatial efficiency index proposal: an empirical application to SMEs productivity," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 353-371, October.
- Oh, Inha & Heshmati, Almas & Baek, Chulwoo & Lee, Jeong-Dong, 2006.
"Comparative Analysis of Firm Dynamics by Size: Korean Manufacturing,"
Ratio Working Papers
94, The Ratio Institute.
- Inha Oh & Almas Heshmati & Chulwoo Baek & Jeong-Dong Lee, 2009. "Comparative Analysis Of Plant Dynamics By Size: Korean Manufacturing," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 512-538.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2008. "The Technical Efficiency of UK Airports," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/10, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Parker, Simon C, 2009. "Why do small firms produce the entrepreneurs?," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 484-494, June.
- García, Francisco & Avella, Lucía & Fernández, Esteban, 2012. "Learning from exporting: The moderating effect of technological capabilities," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1099-1111.
- Carlos M. F-Jardón, 2011. "Deployment of Core Competencies to obtain success in SMEs," Working Papers 1106, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra Blasco, Agustí, 1958- & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013. "Innovation and firm growth: Does firm age play a role?," Working Papers 2072/211886, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Fabio Pieri & Enrico Zaninotto, 2010.
"Vertical Integration and Efficiency: an application to the Italian Machine Tool Industry,"
DISA Working Papers
1006, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 24 Nov 2010.
- Fabio Pieri & Enrico Zaninotto, 2013. "Vertical integration and efficiency: an application to the Italian machine tool industry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 397-416, February.
- Fabio Pieri & Enrico Zaninotto, 2010. "The Impact of Vertical Integration and Outsourcing on Firm Efficiency: Evidence from the Italian Machine Tool Industry," DISA Working Papers 1001, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 11 Mar 2010.
- Bascavusoglu-Moreau, Elif, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and the National System of Innovation - What is Missing in Turkey?," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 030, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Barrios García, J.A. & Morales González, B., 2009. "Forma de tenencia de la vivienda y nivel educativo de los hijos en España: Evidencia microeconométrica/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 287 (30 PÃ¡, Abril.
- Chih-Hai Yang & Ku-Hsieh Chen, 2009. "Are small firms less efficient?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 375-395, April.
- Erol Taymaz & Şule Özler, 2007. "Foreign Ownership, Competition, and Survival Dynamics," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 23-42, August.
- Zulfiqar, Salyha, 2012. "Analyzing the Input Output Relationship of Small and Medium Enterprises in Pakistan: An Econometric Approach," MPRA Paper 50069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Garcia-del-Barrio, Pedro, 2008. "Efficiency measurement of the English football Premier League with a random frontier model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 994-1002, September.
- Bascavusoglu-Moreau, Elif, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and the National System of Innovation: What is Missing in Turkey?," Working Paper Series wp2010-54, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Horácio C. Faustino & Joana C. Lima & Pedro Verga Matos, 2012. "Exports, Productivity and Innovation: Evidence from Portugal using micro data," Working Papers Department of Economics 2012/13, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- World Bank, 2011. "Turkey - Improving Conditions for SME Growth Finance and Innovation," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12211, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.