Incentive Regulation and Telecommunications Service Quality
AbstractWe examine the impact of incentive regulation—price regulation and earnings sharing regulation—on retail service quality in the U.S. telecommunications industry between 1991 and 2002. We find that incentive regulation is associated with significantly higher service quality on several dimensions (e.g., more rapid installation of new telephone service, fewer trouble reports, and increased customer satisfaction) but significantly lower quality on some dimensions (fewer installation commitments met and longer delays in resolving reported service problems) Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
service quality; incentive regulation; telecommunications;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & David E. M. Sappington, 1998.
"Setting the X Factor in Price Cap Regulation Plans,"
NBER Working Papers
6622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Sappington, David E M, 1999. "Setting the X Factor in Price-Cap Regulation Plans," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-25, July.
- Ai, Chunrong & Sappington, David E.M., 2005. "Reviewing the impact of incentive regulation on U.S. telephone service quality," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 201-210, September.
- David Sappington & Dennis Weisman, 2010. "Price cap regulation: what have we learned from 25 years of experience in the telecommunications industry?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 227-257, December.
- Estache, Antonio & Goicoechea, Ana & Manacorda, Marco, 2006. "Telecommunications performance, reforms, and governance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3822, The World Bank.
- Anna Ter-Martirosyan & John Kwoka, 2010. "Incentive regulation, service quality, and standards in U.S. electricity distribution," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 258-273, December.
- Iossa, Elisabetta & Stroffolini, Francesca, 2005. "Price cap regulation, revenue sharing and information acquisition," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 217-230, March.
- Eva Jansson, 0. "Deregulation, property rights, and legal system," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-25.
- Francesc Trillas & Miguel Angel Montoya, 2008. "The degree of commitment to regulator independence: measurement and impact," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 185(2), pages 89-114, July.
- Guerriero, Carmine, 2013.
"The political economy of incentive regulation: Theory and evidence from US states,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 91-107.
- Carmine Guerriero, 2008. "The Political Economy of Incentive Regulation: Theory and Evidence from US States," Working Papers 2008.34, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Joskow, P.L., 2006.
"Incentive Regulation in Theory and Practice: Electricity Distribution and Transmission Networks,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0607, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2013. "Incentive Regulation in Theory and Practice: Electricity Distribution and Transmission Networks," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Regulation and Its Reform: What Have We Learned? National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joskow, Paul L., 2005. "Incentive Regulation in Theory and Practice: Electricity Distribution and Transmission Networks," Working paper 255, Regulation2point0.
- Paul L Joskow, 2005. "Incentive Regulation In Theory And Practice - Electricity Distribution And Transmission Networks," Working Papers 0514, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Carlos Perez Montes, 2012. "Regulatory bias in the price structure of local telephone services," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1201, Banco de Espa�a.
- Vladimir Hlasny, 2008. "The impact of restructuring and deregulation on gas rates," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 27-52, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.