Reserves and Baskets
AbstractWe discuss three well known plans that were offered in the twentieth century to provide an artificial replacement for gold and key currencies as international reserves: Keynesâ Bancor, the SDR and the Ecu( predecessor to the euro).The latter two of these reserve substitutes were institutionalized but neither replaced the dollar as the principal medium of international reserve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 23 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
International reserves; Key currencies; Bancor; SDRs; Ecus; F02; F33; F55;
Other versions of this item:
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F55 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - International Institutional Arrangements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2011.
"Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199596713.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2012. "Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199642472.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Michele Fratianni, 2009.
"Resurrecting Keynes to Stabilize the International Monetary System,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 339-358, July.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Michele Fratianni, 2008. "Resurrecting Keynes to Stabilize the International Monetary System," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 1, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Aaron Brown, 2011. "Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar and the Future of the International Monetary System, by Barry Eichengreen," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 825-826.
- Rockoff, Hugh & White, Eugene N., 2012. "Monetary Regimes and Policy on a Global Scale: The Oeuvre of Michael D. Bordo," MPRA Paper 49672, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.