Forecasting the Malmquist productivity index
AbstractThe Malmquist Productivity Index (MPI) suggests a convenient way of measuring the productivity change of a given unit between two consequent time periods. Until now, only a static approach for analyzing the MPI was available in the literature. However, this hides a potentially valuable information given by the evolution of productivity over time. In this paper, we introduce a dynamic procedure for forecasting the MPI. We compare several approaches and give credit to a method based on the assumption of circularity. Because the MPI is not circular, we present a new decomposition of the MPI, in which the time-varying indices are circular. Based on that decomposition, a new working dynamic forecasting procedure is proposed and illustrated. To construct prediction intervals of the MPI, we extend the bootstrap method in order to take into account potential serial correlation in the data. We illustrate all the new techniques described above by forecasting the productivityt index of 17 OCDE countries, constructed from their GDP, labor and capital stock.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 33 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
Malmquist productivity index; Circularity; Efficiency; Smooth bootstrap; Forecasting intervals;
Other versions of this item:
- Daskovska, Alexandra & Simar, Léopold & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009. "Forecasting the Malmquist Productivity Index," TSE Working Papers 09-048, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Daskovska, Alexandra & Simar, Léopold & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009. "Forecasting the Malmquist Productivity Index," IDEI Working Papers 634, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1991. "The Penn World Table (Mark 5): An Expanded Set of International Comparisons, 1950-1988," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 327-68, May.
- Finn R. FÃ¸rsund, 2002. "On the circularity of the Malmquist productivity index," ICER Working Papers, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research 29-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999.
"Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices,"
European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- SIMAR, LÃ©opold & WILSON, Paul, 1996. "Estimating and bootstrapping malmquist indices," CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) 1996060, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
Papers, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Oulton,Nicholas & O'Mahony,Mary, 1994. "Productivity and Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521453455, 9.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998.
"Productivity Growth in Industrialized Countries,"
Papers, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique
9810, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- SIMAR, LÃ©opold & WILSON, Paul W., 1998. "Productivity growth in industrialized countries," CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) 1998036, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Van Bellegem, Sebastien & von Sachs, Rainer, 2004. "Forecasting economic time series with unconditional time-varying variance," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 611-627.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Andreas Mayer & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2014. "An Aggregation Paradigm for Hicks-Moorsteen Productivity Indexes," CEPA Working Papers Series WP012014, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Valentin Zelenyuk & Andreas Mayer, 2013.
"Aggregation of Malmquist productivity indexes allowing for reallocation of resources,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP062013, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Mayer, Andreas & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2014. "Aggregation of Malmquist productivity indexes allowing for reallocation of resources," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 238(3), pages 774-785.
- Jakub Growiec, 2010.
"On the measurement of technological progress across countries,"
National Bank of Poland Working Papers
73, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Jakub Growiec, 2013. "On the measurement of technological progress across countries," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 44(5), pages 467-504.
- Growiec, Jakub, 2009. "On the Measurement of Technological Progress Across Countries," MPRA Paper 19321, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Peyrache, 2013. "Multilateral productivity comparisons and homotheticity," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 57-65, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.