Intra- and inter-country bank branch assessment using DEA
AbstractIncreasingly globalized financial markets with considerable activity in the multinational sector have created the need to understand inter-country bank branch performance. This topic is relatively unstudied, primarily due to the immense difficulty encountered in gathering reliable data. Fortunately, we have been able to obtain data on a group of banks operating in one geographical market area, but in different countries. In this paper we critically assess bank branch profitability and productivity in seven national branch networks owned and operated by a multi-national financial services corporation. The corporate head office (owner) imposes its management philosophy equally on all of its subsidiaries, thus removing executive managerial and corporate disparity. Results suggest that countries in which branch performance is quite consistent amongst domestic branches are less productive and less profitable when compared to other countries that have more disparity in their efficiency scores. In addition, we discovered that, surprisingly, branches do not have to be productive in order to be profitable and this led us to somewhat of a major breakthrough in inter-country branch analysis. Significant managerial advice may be derived from these results vis-à-vis trans-national benchmarking and opportunity for performance improvements both at the branch level and nationally as well. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 27 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
DEA; Profitability; Bank branch efficiency; Inter-country benchmarking; Productivity and profitability; L84;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L84 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Personal, Professional, and Business Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knox Lovell, C. A. & Pastor, Jesus T., 1997. "Target setting: An application to a bank branch network," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 290-299, April.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition," IMF Working Papers 02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Laeven, Luc, 1999. "Risk and efficiency in East Asian banks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2255, The World Bank.
- Rangan, Nanda & Grabowski, Richard & Aly, Hassan Y. & Pasurka, Carl, 1988. "The technical efficiency of US banks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 169-175.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December.
- Pastor, JoseManuel & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 1997.
"Efficiency analysis in banking firms: An international comparison,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 395-407, April.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995. "Efficiency Analysis In Banking Firms: An International Comparison," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sherman, H. David & Gold, Franklin, 1985. "Bank branch operating efficiency : Evaluation with Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 297-315, June.
- Schaffnit, Claire & Rosen, Dan & Paradi, Joseph C., 1997. "Best practice analysis of bank branches: An application of DEA in a large Canadian bank," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 269-289, April.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Antreas D. Athanassopoulos & Andreas Soteriou & Stavros Zenios, 1997. "Disentangling Within- and Between-Country Efficiency Differences of Bank Branches," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002.
"Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2850, The World Bank.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Zhu, Haiyan, 2013. "A survey on bank branch efficiency and performance research with data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 61-79.
- Aude Deville & Gary D. Ferrier & Hervé Leleu, 2009. "Performance measures for hierarchical organizations: Frontier analysis as a decision support tool," Working Papers 2009-ECO-01, IESEG School of Management.
- Aude Hubrecht-Deville & Hervé Leleu, 2007. "Performance measures of retail banking networks: a decision support tool," Working Papers CREGO 1071203, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Bouye, Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Vestergaard, Niels, 2008.
"Optimal capacity utilization and reallocation in a German bank branch network: Exploring some strategic scenarios,"
2008/59, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Bouye Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Ignace Van de Woestyne & Niels Vestergaard, 2008. "Optimal Capacity Utilization and Reallocation in a German Bank Branch Network: Exploring Some Strategic Scenarios," Working Papers 2008-ECO-19, IESEG School of Management.
- Aude Hubrecht-Deville, 2007. "Branch banking networks assessment using DEA:A benchmarking analysis," Working Papers CREGO 1071103, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Natsuko Iwasaki & Victor Tremblay, 2009. "The effect of marketing regulations on efficiency: LeChatelier versus coordination effects," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 41-54, August.
- Asmild, Mette & Matthews, Kent, 2012. "Multi-directional efficiency analysis of efficiency patterns in Chinese banks 1997–2008," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 434-441.
- Mette Asmild & Fai Tam, 2007. "Estimating global frontier shifts and global Malmquist indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 137-148, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.