Inter-Firm and Intra-Firm Efficiency Measures
AbstractIntra-firm efficiencyinvolves computing a particular firm's efficiency degree overtime relative to the firm-specific production frontier. Inter-firmefficiency reveals a particular firm's performance over timerelative to the ``best practice frontier'' among the set of comparablefirms. These efficiency measures are related by an inter-firmcatch-up component reflecting differences in technology acrossfirms. Those measures are estimated for Dutch pot-plant firmsusing the Generalized Maximum Entropy formalism. The empiricalresults suggest the inter-firm catch-up component is the majordeterminant of inter-firm efficiency. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 15 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
intra-firm efficiency; inter-firm efficiency; inter-firm catch-up; Generalized Maximum Entropy;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pedro Macedo & Elvira Silva, 2010. "A stochastic production frontier model with a translog specification using the generalized maximum entropy estimator," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 587-596.
- Lansink, Alfons Oude & Reinhard, Stijn, 2004. "Investigating technical efficiency and potential technological change in Dutch pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 353-367, March.
- Randall Campbell & Kevin Rogers & Jon Rezek, 2008. "Efficient frontier estimation: a maximum entropy approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 213-221, December.
- Servin, Roselia & Lensink, Robert & van den Berg, Marrit, 2012. "Ownership and technical efficiency of microfinance institutions: Empirical evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2136-2144.
- Zhu, Xueqin & Demeter, Robert Milan & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2008. "Competitiveness of dairy farms in three countries: the role of CAP subsidies," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44143, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lakshmi Balasubramanyan & Spiro Stefanou & Jeffrey Stokes, 2012. "An entropy approach to size and variance heterogeneity in U.S. commercial banks," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 728-749, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.