Explaining output growth with a heteroscedastic non-neutral production frontier: the case of sheep farms in Greece
AbstractThis paper extends the primal decomposition of total factor productivity (TFP) changes to the case of non-neutral production frontiers. Output growth is decomposed into input growth (size effect), changes in technical efficiency, technical change, and the effect of returns to scale. Within the proposed formulation, however, technical efficiency changes are attributed not only to autonomous changes (i.e. passage of time) but also to changes in input use and in farm-specific characteristics. A heteroscedastic non-neutral production frontier is estimated for an unbalanced panel of Greek sheep farms for the period 1989--1992. Technical efficiency change is found to be the main source of TFP growth. The farm-specific characteristics were the most important determinant of technical efficiency changes. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, . "Explaining Output Growth With A Heteroscedastic Non-Neutral Production Frontier: The Case Of Sheep Farms In Greece," Working Papers 0409, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K.P. Kalirajan & M.B. Obwona & S. Zhao, 1996. "A Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Agricultural Growth before and after Reforms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 331-338.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002.
"One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels," MPRA Paper 31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Lolos, Sarantis E. G. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2002. "Efficiency of the Greek banking system in view of the EMU: a heteroscedastic stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 813-829, December.
- Paul W. Bauer, 1988. "Decomposing TFP growth in the presence of cost inefficiency, nonconstant returns to scale, and technological progress," Working Paper 8813, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Richard Schoney & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2001.
"Technical Efficiency, Technological Change and Output Growth of Wheat Farms in Saskatchewan,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 49(2), pages 135-152, 07.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Richard Schoney & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 1999. "Technical Efficiency, Technological Change and Output Growth of Wheat Farms in Saskatchewan," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 47(4), pages 468-469, December.
- Tauer, Loren W., 1994. "Age and Farmer Productivity," Staff Papers 121316, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990.
"Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Caudill, Steven B & Ford, Jon M & Gropper, Daniel M, 1995. "Frontier Estimation and Firm-Specific Inefficiency Measures in the Presence of Heteroscedasticity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 105-11, January.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Wang, Hung-Jen, 2002.
"Heteroscedasticity and non-monotonic efficiency effects of a stochastic frontier model,"
31076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hung-Jen Wang, 2002. "Heteroscedasticity and Non-Monotonic Efficiency Effects of a Stochastic Frontier Model," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 241-253, November.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2001.
"Self-Dual Stochastic Production Frontiers And Decomposition Of Output Growth: The Case Of Olive-Growing Farms In Greece,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(2), October.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, . "Self-Dual Stochastic Production Frontiers and Decomposition of Output Growth: The Case of Olive Growing Farms in Greece," Working Papers 9913, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- W, Y, 1995. "Productivity Growth, Technological Progress, and Technical Efficiency Change in China: A Three-Sector Analysis1," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 207-229, October.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2000. "Efficiency, technological change and output growth in Greek olive growing farms: a Box-Cox approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 909-916.
- Welch, F, 1970. "Education in Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 35-59, Jan.-Feb..
- Schmidt, Peter & Lin, Tsai-Fen, 1984. "Simple tests of alternative specifications in stochastic frontier models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 349-361, March.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1995. "An econometric decomposition of dairy output growth," MPRA Paper 37678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lokina, Razack B., 2008. "Technical Efficiency and the Role of Skipper Skill in Artisanal Lake Victoria Fisheries," Discussion Papers dp-08-13-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2012. "Technical and scale efficiency in the Italian Citrus Farming: A comparison between Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) and Data Envelopment Analysis(DEA) Models," MPRA Paper 41403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saldias, Rodrigo & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2012. "Access to credit and the determinants of technical inefficiency among specialized small farmers in Chile," DARE Discussion Papers 1211, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Madau, Fabio A., 2010. "Parametric Estimation Of Technical And Scale Efficiencies In Italian Citrus Farming," MPRA Paper 26818, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Furesi, Roberto & Madau, Fabio A. & Pulina, Pietro, 2011. "Technical Efficiency in the Sheep Dairy Industry: an Application on the Sardinian (Italy) Sector," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114348, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David & Gil, Jose Maria, 2007.
"Farms' Technical Inefficiencies in the Presence of Government Programs,"
2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN
9952, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David & Gil, Jose Maria, 2008. "Farms' technical inefficiencies in the presence of government programs," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(1), March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.