Fiscal Policy and Exchange Rates
AbstractThis paper examines the dynamics of the nominal exchange rate and fiscal deficits in a continuous time optimizing general equilibrium model with finite horizon. It is shown that alternative financing modes of budget deficits imply different patterns of adjustment along the transitional path towards the steady state equilibrium. In particular, the respect of public solvency without money financing is not suffcient to avoid the depreciation of the exchange rate in the long-run after a fiscal expansion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=108909
exchange rates; fiscal deficits; current account dynamics; F31; F32; E62;
Other versions of this item:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel, Betty C., 1993. "Uncertainty and the timing of taxes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 95-114, February.
- Rao Aiyagari, S. & Gertler, Mark, 1985. "The backing of government bonds and monetarism," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 19-44, July.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1994. "A Simple Model for Study of the Determination of the Price Level and the Interaction of Monetary and Fiscal Policy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 381-99.
- Marini, Giancarlo & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1988.
"Monetary and Fiscal Policy in an Optimising Model with Capital Accumulation and Finite Lives,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 772-86, September.
- Marini, Giancarlo & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1987. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy in an Optimizing Model with Capital Accumulation and Finite Lives," CEPR Discussion Papers 167, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Daniel, Betty C., 2001. "The fiscal theory of the price level in an open economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 293-308, October.
- Woodford, Michael, 1994. "Monetary Policy and Price Level Determinacy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 345-80.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1987. "Real exchange rate dynamics with nominal parities Structural change and overshooting," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 141-155, February.
- Christopher Erceg & Luca Guerrieri, 2005.
"Expansionary Fiscal Shocks and the Trade Deficit,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
128, Society for Computational Economics.
- Betty Daniel, 2000.
"A Fiscal Theory of Currency Crises,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0535, Econometric Society.
- Henning Bohn, 2005. "The Sustainability of Fiscal Policy in the United States," CESifo Working Paper Series 1446, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dupor, Bill, 2000. "Exchange rates and the fiscal theory of the price level," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 613-630, June.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 1998.
"Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?,"
NBER Working Papers
6471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 2001. "Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1221-1238, December.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Cumby, Robert & Diba, Behzad, 1998. "Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1772, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Drazen, Allan & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Stabilization with Exchange Rate Management," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(4), pages 835-55, November.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Maccini, Louis J, 1995. "Twin Deficits versus Unpleasant Fiscal Arithmetic in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 639-58, August.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2002. "The Fiscal Theory Of The Price Level: A Critique," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(481), pages 459-480, July.
- Elhanan Helpman & Assaf Razin, 1987.
"Exchange Rate Management: Intertemporal Tradoffs,"
NBER Working Papers
1590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel, Betty C., 2000. "The timing of exchange rate collapse," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 765-784, December.
- Piersanti, Giovanni, 2000. "Current account dynamics and expected future budget deficits: some international evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 255-271, April.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Detken, Carsten, 1999. "Fiscal policy effectiveness and neutrality results in a non-Ricardian world," Working Paper Series 0003, European Central Bank.
- Michael Woodford, 1995.
"Price Level Determinacy Without Control of a Monetary Aggregate,"
NBER Working Papers
5204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Woodford, Michael, 1995. "Price-level determinacy without control of a monetary aggregate," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-46, December.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-94, June.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1987. "Current account dynamics in a finite horizon model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 299-313, November.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Gust, 2005. "Expansionary Fiscal Shocks and the US Trade Deficit," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 363-397, December.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Cumby, Robert E & Diba, Behzad T, 2001. "Fiscal Discipline and Exchange Rate Systems," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(474), pages 667-90, October.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1991. "Money and Capital in Interdependent Economies with Overlapping Generations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(230), pages 233-56, May.
- Weil, Philippe, 1991. "Is Money Net Wealth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Makram El‐Shagi, 2011.
"The Impact of Fixed Exchange Rates on Fiscal Discipline,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 58(5), pages 685-710, November.
- El-Shagi, Makram, 2009. "The impact of fixed exchange rates on fiscal discipline," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 84, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Calderon, Cesar & Kubota, Megumi, 2009. "Does higher openness cause more real exchange rate volatility ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4896, The World Bank.
- César Calderón M., 2004.
"Un Análisis del Comportamiento del Tipo de Cambio Real en Chile,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 7(1), pages 5-30, April.
- César Calderón, 2004. "Un Análisis del Comportamiento del Tipo de Cambio Real en Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 266, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.