Mortgage Loan Market Segmentation and Lender Pricing Behavior
AbstractThis study examines the ability of financial institutions to vary rates of return on mortgages by segmenting mortgage loan markets. The research indicates that product differentials do exist among financial institutions. These differences seem to be attributable to instrument-specific characteristics which result from varying levels of intermediation services and exit barriers resulting from lingering regulatory distinctions. Pricing differences as a result of product differences are significant between mortgage bankers and depository institutions which suggests that borrowers are willing to pay a premium for loans offered by banks and thrifts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 3 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Curley, Anthony J & Guttentag, Jack M, 1977. "Value and Yield Risk on Outstanding Insured Residential Mortgages," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 403-12, May.
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1980. "Alternative approaches to the theory of the banking firm," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-37, January.
- Liu, Benjamin & Skully, Michael, 2005. "The determinants of mortgage yield spread differentials: Securitization," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 314-333, October.
- Wolter Hassink & Michiel Leuvensteijn, 2007. "Measuring Transparency in the Dutch Mortgage Market," De Economist, Springer, vol. 155(1), pages 23-47, March.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Wolter Hassink, 2003.
"Price-setting and price dispersion in the Dutch mortgage market,"
CPB Discussion Paper
21, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Wolter H.J. Hassink & Michiel van Leuvensteijn, 2003. "Price-setting and Price Dispersion in the Dutch Mortgage Market," Working Papers 03-07, Utrecht School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.