Impact of Ranch and Market Factors on an Index of Agricultural Holding Period Returns
AbstractThis study develops nominal and real holding period return indices for operating ranches. The indices contain two components, monthly ranch operating profit and capital appreciation. A regression model that determines the effect of various attributes on total market value is used to estimate capital appreciation, and a second model determines operating profit. The two different ranch data series are compared with United States Long Term Government Bonds, the S&P 500 Index and Small Capitalization Stocks. Both ranch indices show very low correlation with the S&P 500 Index and very low or negative betas. Further, both ranch series have excess actual nominal and real returns when compared to expected returns determined from the Capital Asset Pricing Model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 19 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald W. Spahr & Mark A. Sunderman, 1995. "Additional Evidence on the Homogeneity of the Value of Government Grazing Leases and Changing Attributes for Ranch Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(5), pages 601-616.
- Clapp, John M & Giaccotto, Carmelo, 1992. "Estimating Price Trends for Residential Property: A Comparison of Repeat Sales and Assessed Value Methods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 357-74, December.
- Dombrow, Jonathan & Knight, J R & Sirmans, C F, 1997. "Aggregation Bias in Repeat-Sales Indices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 75-88, Jan.-Marc.
- R. Brian Webb & Mike Miles & David Guilkey, 1992. "Transactions-Driven Commercial Real Estate Returns: The Panacea to Asset Allocation Models?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 325-357.
- Dodson, Charles B., 1994. "Economic Feasibility of Farm Real Estate Equity Investments," Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 3.
- Gatzlaff, Dean H & Haurin, Donald R, 1997. "Sample Selection Bias and Repeat-Sales Index Estimates," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 33-50, Jan.-Marc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- James R. Webb & Jack H. Rubens, 1988. "The Effect of Alternative Return Measures on Restricted Mixed-Asset Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(2), pages 123-137.
- David A. Lins & Bruce J. Sherrick & Aravind Venigalla, 1992. "Institutional Portfolios: Diversification through Farmland Investment," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(4), pages 549-571.
- Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1991. "House Price Indexes: Issues and Results," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 259-269.
- Tanaka, John A. & Torell, L. Allen & Rimbey, Neil R., 2005. "Who Are Public Land Ranchers and Why Are They Out There?," Western Economics Forum, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 4(02).
- Ronald W. Spahr & Mark A. Sunderman, 2009. "A Model for Federal Public Land Surface Rights' Management," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(2), pages 119-146.
- Sengupta, Sanchita & Osgood, Daniel Edward, 2003. "The value of remoteness: a hedonic estimation of ranchette prices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 91-103, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.