Uncertainty and Foreign Real Estate Investment
AbstractPublished research has offered little evidence in support of foreign real estate investment. Most of the literature suggests that foreign real estate yields investors in mixed-asset portfolios no tangible benefits in terms of diversification gains. However all these studies were done on the basis of point estimates where they solve for a single unique optimum portfolio composition. Thus, earlier research has left the impression that foreign real estate is ‘‘never’’ optimal. Here we use a bootstrap simulation to introduce uncertainty into the analysis. Our results suggest that although foreign real estate is not likely to provide investors with significant diversification benefits, substantial amounts of foreign real estate can potentially be optimal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Ziobrowski & Harry McAlum & Brigitte J. Ziobrowski, 1996. "Taxes and Foreign Real Estate Investment," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 197-213.
- Solnik, B H, 1974. "The International Pricing of Risk: An Empirical Investigation of the World Capital Market Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 365-78, May.
- David M. Geltner, 1993. "Estimating Market Values from Appraised Values without Assuming an Efficient Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(3), pages 325-346.
- Youguo Liang & F.C. Neil Myer & James R. Webb, 1996. "The Bootstrap Efficient Frontier for Mixed-Asset Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 247-256.
- Helen Higgs & Andrew C. Worthington, 2002. "The Prospects for Geographic Diversification in UK Regional Property Investment: Implications Derived from Multivariate Cointegration Analysis," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 111, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Robert Johnson & Colin Lizieri & Luc Soenen & Elaine M. Worzala, 2005. "Hedging Private International Real Estate," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2005-01, Henley Business School, Reading University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.