Assessing Risk for International Real Estate Investments
AbstractOverseas real estate investment has increased considerably in recent years. The assessment of risk for these investments, especially for real estate, has thus become very important. This study assesses the performance of real estate, stocks and bonds in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand over the period 1985-93. The results indicate that the degree of appraisal-smoothing and intertemporal correlation in each of the five international real estate series is significant, resulting in the need to increase the real estate risk estimates by 34% to 47%. To account for currency risk over this nine-year period, currency-adjusted returns and risk were also estimated for investors from each of these five countries. All risk profiles increased significantly for international investors when adjusting for currency risk. However, additional portfolio diversification was achieved using real estate for international investors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 11 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Geltner, 1989. "Estimating Real Estate's Systematic Risk from Aggregate Level Appraisal-Based Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 463-481.
- Paul K. Asabere & Robert Kleiman & Carl McGowan, 1991. "The Risk-Return Attributes of International Real Estate Equities," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(2), pages 143-152.
- David J. Hartzell & James R. Webb, 1988. "Real Estate Risk and Return Expectations: Recent Survey Results," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(3), pages 31-37.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Ross, Stephen A & Zisler, Randall C, 1991. "Risk and Return in Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 175-90, June.
- John Gallo & Ying Zhang, 2010. "Global Property Market Diversification," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 458-485, November.
- Ivo Wit, 2010. "International Diversification Strategies for Direct Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 433-457, November.
- Glassman, Debra A. & Riddick, Leigh A., 2001. "What causes home asset bias and how should it be measured?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 35-54, March.
- Addae-Dapaah, Kwame & Tan Yong Hwee, Wilfred, 2009. "The unsung impact of currency risk on the performance of international real property investment," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 56-65, January.
- Hamelink, Foort & Hoesli, Martin, 2002.
"What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?,"
SIFR Research Report Series
7, Institute for Financial Research.
- Foort Hamelink & Martin Hoesli, 2004. "What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 437-462, 09.
- Foort HAMELINK & Martin HOESLI, 2003. "What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?," FAME Research Paper Series rp50, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Martin Hoesli & Jon Lekander & Witold Witkiewicz, 2004. "New International Evidence on Real Estate as a Portfolio Diversifier," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 26(2), pages 161-206.
- Robert T. Kleiman & James E. Payne & Anandi P. Sahu, 2002. "Random Walks and Market Efficiency: Evidence from International Real Estate Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(3), pages 279-298.
- Joseph L. Pagliari, Jr. & James R. Webb & Todd A. Canter & Frederich Lieblich, 1997. "A Fundamental Comparison of International Real Estate Returns," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(3), pages 317-348.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.