Bootstrap prediction bands for forecast paths from vector autoregressive models
AbstractThe problem of forecasting from vector autoregressive models has attracted considerable attention in the literature. The most popular non-Bayesian approaches use either asymptotic approximations or bootstrapping to evaluate the uncertainty associated with the forecast. The practice in the empirical literature has been to assess the uncertainty of multi‐step forecasts by connecting the intervals constructed for individual forecast periods. This paper proposes a bootstrap method of constructing prediction bands for forecast paths. The bands are constructed from forecast paths obtained in bootstrap replications using an optimization procedure to find the envelope of the most concentrated paths. From extensive Monte Carlo study, it is found that the proposed method provides more accurate assessment of predictive uncertainty from the vector autoregressive model than its competitors. Copyright (C) 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
vector autoregression ; forecast path ; bootstrap ; simultaneous statistical inference ;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Jae H, 2001. "Bootstrap-after-Bootstrap Prediction Intervals for Autoregressive Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 117-28, January.
- Staszewska, Anna, 2007.
"Representing uncertainty about response paths: The use of heuristic optimisation methods,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 121-132, September.
- Anna Staszewska, 2006. "Representing Uncertainty about Response Paths: the Use of Heuristic Optimisation Methods," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 379, Society for Computational Economics.
- Masarotto, Guido, 1990. "Bootstrap prediction intervals for autoregressions," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 229-239, July.
- Clements, Michael P. & Kim, Jae H., 2007. "Bootstrap prediction intervals for autoregressive time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3580-3594, April.
- Jae H. Kim, 2004. "Bias-corrected bootstrap prediction regions for vector autoregression," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 141-154.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001. "Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 101-115, Fall.
- Kim, Jae H, 2002. "Bootstrap Prediction Intervals for Autoregressive Models of Unknown or Infinite Lag Order," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 265-80, July.
- Clements, Michael P. & Taylor, Nick, 2001. "Bootstrapping prediction intervals for autoregressive models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 247-267.
- Lutz Kilian, 1998. "Small-Sample Confidence Intervals For Impulse Response Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 218-230, May.
- Kim, Jae H., 1999. "Asymptotic and bootstrap prediction regions for vector autoregression," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 393-403, October.
- Lorenzo Pascual & Esther Ruiz & Diego Fresoli, 2011. "Bootstrap forecast of multivariate VAR models without using the backward representation," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws113426, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Michael Wolf & Dan Wunderli, 2012. "Bootstrap joint prediction regions," ECON - Working Papers 064, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised May 2013.
- Jordà, Òscar & Knüppel, Malte & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2013.
"Empirical simultaneous prediction regions for path-forecasts,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 456-468.
- Òscar Jordá & Malte Knuppel & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2012. "Empirical simultaneous prediction regions for path-forecasts," Working Paper Series 2012-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Helmut Lütkepohl & Anna Staszewska-Bystrova & Peter Winker, 2013.
"Comparison of Methods for Constructing Joint Confidence Bands for Impulse Response Functions,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1292, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Helmut Lütkepohl & Anna Staszewska-Bystrova & Peter Winker, 2013. "Comparison of Methods for Constructing Joint Confidence Bands for Impulse Response Functions," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201325, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Helmut Lütkepohl & Anna Staszewska-Bystrova & Peter Winker, 2013. "Comparison of Methods for Constructing Joint Confidence Bands for Impulse Response Functions," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-031, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Anna Staszewska-Bystrova, 2013. "Modified Scheffé’s Prediction Bands," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(5-6), pages 680-690, October.
- Staszewska-Bystrova, Anna & Winker, Peter, 2013. "Constructing narrowest pathwise bootstrap prediction bands using threshold accepting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 221-233.
- Bystrov, Victor, 2013. "A factor-augemented model of markup on mortgage loans in Poland," MPRA Paper 49683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.