Product Diversification and Profitability in German Manufacturing Firms
AbstractWe use unique rich data for German manufacturing enterprises to investigate the product diversification – firm performance relationship.We find that an increase in the degree of product diversification has a negative impact on profitability when observed and unobserved firm characteristics are controlled for. The effects are statistically significant and large froman economic point of view. This helps to understand the fact that nearly 40 percent of all enterprises with at least 20 employees are single-product firms according to a detailed classification of products, and that multi-product enterprises with a large number of goods are a rare species.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 231 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Product diversification; profitability; Germany;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joachim Wagner & John P. Weche Geluebcke, 2011.
"Foreign Ownership and Firm Survival: First evidence for enterprises in Germany,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
221, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner & John Philipp Weche Gelübcke, 2012. "Foreign Ownership and Firm Survival: First Evidence for Enterprises in Germany," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 132, pages 117-139.
- Wagner, Joachim & Weche Gelübcke, John Philipp, 2011. "Foreign Ownership and Firm Survival: First Evidence for Enterprises in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 6207, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2013.
"Exports, imports and firm survival: first evidence for manufacturing enterprises in Germany,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 113-130, March.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011. "Exports, Imports and Firm Survival: First Evidence for Manufacturing Enterprises in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 5924, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "Exports, Imports and Firm Survival: First evidence for manufacturing enterprises in Germany," Working Paper Series in Economics 211, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.