Beitragssatz, Kassenwettbewerb und Gesundheitsreform, Eine empirische Analyse
AbstractThe premium rates paid for statutory health insurance in Germany play a key role in the competition among health care funds. With the most recent health care reform (GKV-Wettbewerbsstaerkungsgesetz GKV-WSG), a range of new products have been introduced that could erode the advantageous selling proposition of the premium rates. In addition to the pure monetary incentive to change health insurance provider, the new products include aspects that are becoming increasingly important to insured persons, such as the assessment of their own morbidity and the level and quality of health care provision. We find that current morbidity, experiences in morbidity, and expectations about morbidity will gain in importance when choosing health care provider. Using micro-data for the years 1999 to 2004 from the German Socio-Economic Panel study (SOEP), we investigate the willingness to change health provider in a multivariate setting. The SOEP data will be matched with register information about premium rates of all statutory health insurance funds in Germany. Applying a multinomial logit model, we show that there are two prototypes of insured people who change funds. The characteristics of those who changed funds can be used to evaluate the future developments in statutory health insurance in Germany, assuming that customer mobility will continue to increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5+6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Statutory health insurance; change of sickness funds; preferences; customer mobility; health care reform; SOEP;
Other versions of this item:
- Andersen, Hanfried H. & Grabka, Markus M. & Schwarze, Johannes, 2007. "Beitragssatz, Kassenwettbewerb und Gesundheitsreform: Eine empirische Analyse," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johannes Schwarze & Hanfried H. Andersen, 2001. "Kassenwechsel in der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung: welche Rolle spielt der Beitragssatz?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 267, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Henke, Klaus-Dirk, 2007. "Der Gesundheitsfonds: Politökonomische Aspekte und seine Rolle als Wettbewerbsinstrument," Discussion Papers 2007/1, Technische Universität Berlin, School of Economics and Management.
- Schmitz, Hendrik & Ziebarth, Nicolas R., 2011.
"In Absolute or Relative Terms? How Framing Prices Affects the Consumer Price Sensitivity of Health Plan Choice,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6241, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ziebarth, N.; & Schmitz, H.;, 2012. "In absolute or relative terms? How framing prices affects the consumer price sensitivity of health plan choice," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 12/03, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Hendrik Schmitz & Nicolas R. Ziebarth, 2011. "In Absolute or Relative Terms?: How Framing Prices Affects the Consumer Price Sensitivity of Health Plan Choice," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 423, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Hendrik Schmitz & Nicolas R. Ziebarth, 2011. "In Absolute or Relative Terms? How Framing Prices Affects the Consumer Price Sensitivity of," Ruhr Economic Papers 0304, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.