Dynamic Empirics Of Trade Openness And Economic Growth In Latin America: Do Fast Reformers Grow Faster?
AbstractThis study uses a dynamic model to determine the contribution of openness on output growth in Latin America. Error Correction Model and Phillips and Loretan results prove superior to OLS estimates. First, openness growth does not have a straight positive relationship to productivity growth; i.e., it is not clear whether fast reformers grow faster. Second, there are significant variations between the short run and long run estimates under the ECM but not under the Phillips and Loretan specification. Third, lead effects are present and are strong in magnitude.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 32 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Economic Growth; Trade Openness; Dynamic Estimates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balassa, Bela, 1978. "Exports and economic growth : Further evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 181-189, June.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Anwesha Aditya & Rajat Acharyya, 2012. "Does What Countries Export Matter? The Asian And Latin American Experience," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 37(3), pages 47-74, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.