An Econometric Analysis of Inventory Turnover Performance in Retail Services
AbstractInventory turnover varies widely across retailers and over time. This variation undermines the usefulness of inventory turnover in performance analysis, benchmarking, and working capital management. We develop an empirical model using financial data for 311 publicly listed retail firms for the years 1987--2000 to investigate the correlation of inventory turnover with gross margin, capital intensity, and sales surprise (the ratio of actual sales to expected sales for the year). The model explains 66.7% of the within-firm variation and 97.2% of the total variation (across and within firms) in inventory turnover. It yields an alternative metric of inventory productivity, adjusted inventory turnover, which empirically adjusts inventory turnover for changes in gross margin, capital intensity, and sales surprise, and can be applied in performance analysis and managerial decision making. We also compute time trends in inventory turnover and adjusted inventory turnover, and find that both have declined in retailing during the 1987--2000 period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 51 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
benchmarking; inventory turnover; retail operations; performance measures;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robb, David J. & Liu, Fei & Lai, Richard & Ren, Z. Justin, 2012. "Inventory in mainland China: Historical, industry, and geographic perspectives," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 440-450.
- Cannon, Alan R., 2008. "Inventory improvement and financial performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 581-593, October.
- Richard Kum-yew Lai, 2005.
"Inventory and the Stock Market,"
- van Zelst, Susan & van Donselaar, Karel & van Woensel, Tom & Broekmeulen, Rob & Fransoo, Jan, 2009. "Logistics drivers for shelf stacking in grocery retail stores: Potential for efficiency improvement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 620-632, October.
- Victor Manuel Bennett & Lamar Pierce & Jason A. Snyder & Michael W. Toffel, 2012. "Competition and Illicit Quality," Harvard Business School Working Papers 12-071, Harvard Business School, revised May 2012.
- Lai, Richard, 2006.
4753, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lai, Richard, 2005. "The Geography of Retail Inventory," MPRA Paper 4755, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kolias, Georgios D. & Dimelis, Sophia P. & Filios, Vasilios P., 2011. "An empirical analysis of inventory turnover behaviour in Greek retail sector: 2000-2005," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 143-153, September.
- Obermaier, Robert, 2012. "German inventory to sales ratios 1971–2005—An empirical analysis of business practice," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 964-976.
- Alvi, Mohsin, 2012. "The impact of packet size on inventory turnover of fmcg products in Pakistan [wholesaler & retailer perspective]," MPRA Paper 39065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.