On the Relationship Between Inventory Costs and Variety Benefits in Retail Assortments
AbstractConsider a category of product variants distinguished by some attribute such as color or flavor. A retailer must construct an assortment for the category, i.e., select a subset variants to stock and determine purchase quantities for each offered variant. We analyze this problem using a multinomial logit model to describe the consumer choice process and a newsboy model to represent the retailer's inventory cost. We show that the optimal assortment has a simple structure and provide insights on how various factors affect the optimal level of assortment variety. We also develop a formal definition of the level of fashion in a category using the theory of majorization and examine its implications for category profits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
variety; inventory; retailing; consumer choice; assortment; optimization; newsboy; fashion; majorization; multinomial logit;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hübner, Alexander H. & Kuhn, Heinrich, 2012. "Retail category management: State-of-the-art review of quantitative research and software applications in assortment and shelf space management," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 199-209, April.
- Stavrulaki, Euthemia, 2011. "Inventory decisions for substitutable products with stock-dependent demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 65-78, January.
- Zhao, Jing & Tang, Wansheng & Wei, Jie, 2012. "Pricing decision for substitutable products with retail competition in a fuzzy environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 144-153.
- Rodríguez, Betzabé & AydIn, Göker, 2011. "Assortment selection and pricing for configurable products under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(3), pages 635-646, May.
- Robotis, Andreas & Bhattacharya, Shantanu & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 2005. "The effect of remanufacturing on procurement decisions for resellers in secondary markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(3), pages 688-705, June.
- Vaagen, Hajnalka & Wallace, Stein W., 2008. "Product variety arising from hedging in the fashion supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 431-455, August.
- Kolias, Georgios D. & Dimelis, Sophia P. & Filios, Vasilios P., 2011. "An empirical analysis of inventory turnover behaviour in Greek retail sector: 2000-2005," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 143-153, September.
- Liu, Heng & Özer, Özalp, 2009. "Managing a product family under stochastic technological changes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 567-580, December.
- Vaagen, Hajnalka & Wallace, Stein W. & Kaut, Michal, 2011. "Modelling consumer-directed substitution," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 388-397, December.
- Choi, Sungyong & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 2011. "A multi-product risk-averse newsvendor with exponential utility function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 78-84, October.
- Bernstein, Fernando & Federgruen, Awi, 2004. "Comparative statics, strategic complements and substitutes in oligopolies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 713-746, September.
- Zhao, Li & Tian, Peng & Xiangyong Li, 2012. "Dynamic pricing in the presence of consumer inertia," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 137-148, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.