Design for the Environment: A Quality-Based Model for Green Product Development
AbstractGreen product development, which addresses environmental issues through product design and innovation as opposed to the traditional end-of-pipe-control approach, is receiving significant attention from customers, industries, and governments around the world. In this paper we develop a quality-based model for analyzing the strategic and policy issues concerning the development of products with conflicting traditional and environmental attributes. On the demand side of the problem, we use the framework of conjoint analysis to structure the preferences of the ordinary and green customers. On the supply side, we apply the theories in optimal product design and market segmentation to analyze the producer's strategic decisions regarding the number of products introduced and their prices and qualities. On the policy side, we evaluate the effects of environmental standards on the economic and environmental consequences of green product development. By jointly considering the interactions among the customers' preferences, the producer's product strategies, and the environmental standards imposed by governments, we present some interesting findings that can be used to manage and regulate the development of green products. Two major findings show that green product development and stricter environmental standards might not necessarily benefit the environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 47 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Product Design; Green Marketing; Natural Environment;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ahmed, Rasha & Segerson, Kathleen, 2011. "Collective voluntary agreements to eliminate polluting products," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 572-588, September.
- Laura Traynor & Ian A. Lange & Mirko Moro, 2012.
"Green Hypocrisy?: Environmental Attitudes and Residential Space Heating Expenditure,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3852, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lange, Ian & Moro, Mirko & Traynor, Laura, 2012. "Green Hypocrisy?: Environmental Attitudes and Residential Space Heating Expenditure," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2012-12, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Ji, Guojun & Gunasekaran, Angappa & Yang, Guangyong, 2014. "Constructing sustainable supply chain under double environmental medium regulations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 147(PB), pages 211-219.
- Tang, Christopher S. & Zhou, Sean, 2012. "Research advances in environmentally and socially sustainable operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 585-594.
- Chen, Chialin & Zhu, Joe & Yu, Jiun-Yu & Noori, Hamid, 2012. "A new methodology for evaluating sustainable product design performance with two-stage network data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(2), pages 348-359.
- Rosa Dangelico & Devashish Pujari, 2010. "Mainstreaming Green Product Innovation: Why and How Companies Integrate Environmental Sustainability," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 95(3), pages 471-486, September.
- Chen, Chialin & Liu, Lucy Qian, 2014. "Pricing and quality decisions and financial incentives for sustainable product design with recycled material content under price leadership," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 147(PC), pages 666-677.
- Ghosh, Debabrata & Shah, Janat, 2012. "A comparative analysis of greening policies across supply chain structures," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 568-583.
- Rasha Ahmed & Kathleen Segerson, 2006. "Collective Voluntary Agreements and the Production of Less Polluting Products," Working papers 2006-18, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised May 2007.
- Rasha Ahmed & Kathleen Segerson, 2007. "Emissions Control and the Regulation of Product Markets: The Case of Automobiles," Working papers 2007-40, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Vachon, Stephan & Klassen, Robert D., 2008. "Environmental management and manufacturing performance: The role of collaboration in the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 299-315, February.
- Yalabik, Baris & Fairchild, Richard J., 2011. "Customer, regulatory, and competitive pressure as drivers of environmental innovation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 519-527, June.
- Nouira, Imen & Frein, Yannick & Hadj-Alouane, Atidel B., 2014. "Optimization of manufacturing systems under environmental considerations for a greenness-dependent demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 188-198.
- Yu-Shan Chen & Ching-Hsun Chang, 2013. "The Determinants of Green Product Development Performance: Green Dynamic Capabilities, Green Transformational Leadership, and Green Creativity," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 116(1), pages 107-119, August.
- Wu, Cheng-Han, 2012. "Product-design and pricing strategies with remanufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(2), pages 204-215.
- Lizbeth Salgado-Beltrán & Joel Enrique Espejel-Blanco & Luis Felipe Beltrán-Morales, 2012. "Marketing Mix Influencing Organic Foods Purchase of Mexican Consumers," MIC 2012: Managing Transformation with Creativity; Proceedings of the 13th International Conference, Budapest, 22–24 November 2012 [Selected Papers], University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper.
- Holtbrügge, Dirk & Dögl, Corinna, 2012. "How international is corporate environmental responsibility? A literature review," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 180-195.
- Wu, Cheng-Han, 2013. "OEM product design in a price competition with remanufactured product," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 287-298.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2014.
"An Empirical Survey of the Ramifications of a Green Economy,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
356, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2014. "An Empirical Survey of the Ramifications of a Green Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 8078, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thoumy, Mira & Vachon, Stephan, 2012. "Environmental projects and financial performance: Exploring the impact of project characteristics," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 28-34.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.