Information Technology and Productivity: Evidence from Country-Level Data
AbstractThis paper studies a key driver of the demand for the products and services of the global IT industry---returns from IT investments. We estimate an intercountry production function relating IT and non-IT inputs to GDP output, on panel data from 36 countries over the 1985--1993 period. We find significant differences between developed and developing countries with respect to their structure of returns from capital investments. For the developed countries in the sample, returns from IT capital investments are estimated to be positive and significant, while returns from non-IT capital investments are not commensurate with relative factor shares. The situation is reversed for the developing countries subsample, where returns from non-IT capital are quite substantial, but those from IT capital investments are not statistically significant. We estimate output growth contributions of IT and non-IT capital and discuss the contrasting policy implications for capital investment by developed and developing economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
information technology; international; productivity paradox; capital investment; information technology investment;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kendall, Jake & Singh, Nirvikar, 2007.
"Internet Kiosks in Rural India: What Influences Success?,"
1566, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jake Kendall & Nirvikar Singh, 2006. "Internet Kiosks in Rural India: What Influences Success?," Working Papers 06-05, NET Institute, revised Sep 2006.
- Kendall, Jake & Singh, Nirvikar, 2007. "Internet Kiosks in Rural India: What Influences Success?#," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8rj78792, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Ewing, Bradley T. & Thompson, Mark A., 2008. "VAR and generalized impulse response analysis of manufacturing unit labor costs," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(11), pages 2575-2583.
- Kaushik, P. D. & Singh, Nirvikar, 2004. "Information Technology and Broad-Based Development: Preliminary Lessons from North India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 591-607, April.
- Lin, Winston T. & Chiang, Chung-Yean, 2011. "The impacts of country characteristics upon the value of information technology as measured by productive efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 13-33, July.
- Elsadig Ahmed, 2010. "Information and Communications Technology Effects on East Asian Productivity," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 191-201, September.
- Juul Andersen, Torben, 2005. "The performance effect of computer-mediated communication and decentralized strategic decision making," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1059-1067, August.
- Repkine, Alexandre, 2008.
"ICT Penetration and Aggregate Production Efficiency: Empirical Evidence for a Cross-Section of Fifty Countries,"
7902, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexandre Repkine, 2008. "Ict Penetration And Aggregate Production Efficiency: Empirical Evidence For A Cross-Section Of Fifty Countries," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 3(2(4)_Summ).
- John Henke & Sengun Yeniyurt & Chun Zhang, 2009. "Supplier price concessions: A longitudinal empirical study," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 61-74, March.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2010.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
201054, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Feb 2010.
- Heshmati, Almas & Kumbhakar, Subal C., 2010. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces," IZA Discussion Papers 4784, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lin, Winston T. & Chuang, Chia-Hung & Choi, Jeong Hoon, 2010. "A partial adjustment approach to evaluating and measuring the business value of information technology," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 158-172, September.
- Chen, Yueh H. & Lin, Winston T., 2009. "Analyzing the relationships between information technology, inputs substitution and national characteristics based on CES stochastic frontier production models," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 552-569, August.
- Francesco VENTURINI, 2006.
"The Long-Run Impact of ICT,"
254, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Kim, Heon-Goo & Oh, Jeong Hun, 2004. "The role of IT on the Korean economy under IMF control," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 181-190, February.
- Shiu, Alice & Heshmati, Almas, 2006.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Chinese Provinces: A Panel Data Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2133, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Shiu, Alice & Heshmati, Almas, 2006. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Chinese Provinces: A Panel Data Analysis," Ratio Working Papers 98, The Ratio Institute.
- Ronia Hawash & Guenter Lang, 2010. "The Impact of Information Technology on Productivity in Developing Countries," Working Papers 19, The German University in Cairo, Faculty of Management Technology.
- Ding, Waverly W. & Levin, Sharon G. & Stephan, Paula E. & Winkler, Ann E., 2009. "The Impact of Information Technology on Scientistsâ€™ Productivity, Quality and Collaboration Patterns," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt80n3512q, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Lee, Young Soo & Oh, Jeonghun & Seo, Hwan-Joo, 2002. "Digital Divide and Growth Gap: A Cumulative Relationship," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.