Perceptions of Transition and the Crisis in Macedonia
AbstractThis paper provides an analysis of people’s perceptions about the effects of the transition process and economic crisis in Macedonia, as extrapolated from UNDP surveys from 2008 and 2009 and set in the context of Macedonia’s political life. Questions were constructed in a way to compare the current situation with the pre-1989 period in order to show differences in opinions. The results indicate dissatisfaction, especially among young people. Participants blame their dissatisfaction on the economic problems that have occurred during transition. Their expectations had been high in respect of economic efficiency but transition has not brought high employment or quality of life closer to the EU average. In fact, unemployment rates have increased and job security has been lost. The widespread belief that quality of life was better before the period of economic liberalisation and privatisation is no surprise and subjectively reflects the dissatisfaction with economic and political developments in Macedonia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The Institute of Economics, Zagreb in its journal Croatian Economic Survey.
Volume (Year): 14 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
transition; growth; development; Macedonia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E20 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E66 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General Outlook and Conditions
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Banicevic).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.