Generalized Expected Utility Analysis of Risk Aversion with State-Dependent Preference
AbstractIn this paper the author develops measures of absolute risk aversion for preference relations on risky prospects that are state-dependent and are representable by Frechet differentiable, nonlinear, functionals. A comparative statics analysis of optimal air travel insurance coverage illustrates the usefulness of the proposed measures. It is also demonstrated that the analytical framework described above is consistent with the purchase of air travel insurance even in circumstances where expected utility theory is not. Copyright 1987 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 28 (1987)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Machina, Mark J, 2001. "Almost-Objective Uncertainty," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt3ps1k85f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Hui Huang & Shunming Zhang, 2011. "The Distorted Theory of Rank-Dependent Expected Utility," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 12(2), pages 233-263, November.
- Quiggin, John & Chambers, Robert G, 2005.
"Comparative risk aversion for state-dependent preferences,"
Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers
151172, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 2005. "Comparative Risk Aversion for State-Dependent Preferences," Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers WP5R05, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Machina, Mark J, 2000. "Payoff Kinks in Preferences Over Lotteries," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt7vn7d2hs, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.