The demand for new housing in Turkey: an application of ARDL model
AbstractThis study provides empirical estimates for new residential homes demand function in Turkey using the time series data for the period 1964â€“2004. An aggregate demand function for new private dwellings in Turkey is formed and is estimated using bounds testing cointegration procedure proposed by Pesaran et al. (2001) to compute the short and long-run elasticities of income and price variables. This study also implements Cumulative Sum (CUSUM) and Cumulative Sum of the Squares (CUSUMSQ) stability tests on the estimated new housing demand function. The empirical results indicate that income is the most significant variable in explaining the demand for new housing in Turkey and there exists a relatively stable new housing demand function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Inderscience Enterprises Ltd in its journal Global Business and Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=168
cointegration; housing demand; stability; income variables; Turkey; ARDL model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Ferda HALICIOGLU, 2005. "The Demand For New Housing In Turkey: An Application Of Ardl Model," Urban/Regional 0508002, EconWPA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Heiss, Florian & Seko, Miki, 2001.
"Housing Demand in Germany and Japan,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 229-252, September.
- Polinsky, A Mitchell, 1977. "The Demand for Housing: A Study in Specification and Grouping," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 447-61, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Malpezzi, Stephen & Mayo, Stephen K, 1987. "The Demand for Housing in Developing Countries: Empirical Estimates from Household Data," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(4), pages 687-721, July.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Hansen, Bruce E, 1990.
"Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mayo, Stephen K., 1981. "Theory and estimation in the economics of housing demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 95-116, July.
- Fontenla, Matas & Gonzalez, Fidel, 2009. "Housing demand in Mexico," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-12, March.
- Olusegun A. Omisakin & Oluwatosin A. Adeniyi & Abimbola M. Oyinlola, 2012. "Structural Breaks, Parameter Stability and Energy Demand Modeling in Nigeria," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 5(2), pages 129-144, August.
- Coskun, Yener, 2010. "An Analysis of the Strenghts and Weaknesses of the Turkish Real Estate Market," MPRA Paper 28361, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.