The case for interstate branch banking
AbstractDuring the 1980’s, many states relaxed laws restricting branching, and most states opened up their borders to entry by out-of-state bank holding companies. This article suggests that both banks and consumers would benefit if laws were further modified to permit bank holding companies to consolidate their interstate subsidiaries into branch networks. While such a change is likely to lead to a smaller number of large banks (although those remaining would operate nationwide), there would probably be little change in the number of small banks serving local markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1990)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1990. "Is Deposit Insurance Necessary? A Historical Perspective," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(02), pages 283-295, June.
- Mark Flannery & Christopher James, .
"Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
5-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. "Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 435-45, November.
- Mark Flannery & Christopher James, . "Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 05-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Evanoff, Douglas D, 1988. "Branch Banking and Service Accessibility," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(2), pages 191-202, May.
- Sydney J. Key, 1989. "Mutual recognition: integration of the financial sector in the European Community," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Sep, pages 591-609.
- Krol, Robert & Svorny, Shirley, 1996. "The effect of the bank regulatory environment on state economic activity," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 531-541, August.
- Hubert P. Janicki & Edward S. Prescott, 2006. "Changes in the size distribution of U.S. banks: 1960-2005," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 291-316.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Perkins).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.