Marketing Strategies for the Primary Sector: An Empirical Study
AbstractThis study aims to profile the marketing strategies that sheep farmers follow in the Region of East Macedonia and Thrace (EMTh) in Greece and the County of Cornwall in U.K. based upon their distribution channel selection, farm and personal characteristics. A survey conducted to 343 and 240 sheep farmers in EMTh and Cornwall respectively. Farmers in EMTh follow three marketing strategies: (i) cost focus, (ii) production orientation and (iii) return focus strategy, while Cornish farmers adopt the: (i) production Orientation and (ii) differentiation strategy. There are many differences regarding their marketing orientation, distribution outlet selection, farm and farmer characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): XV (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Livestock Marketing; Marketing Strategies; Livestock Marketing Channels; Strategic Typology; Sheep Farmers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fraser McLeay & Sandra Martin & Tony Zwart, 1996. "Farm business marketing behavior and strategic groups in agriculture," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 339-351.
- Christopher Ritson, 1997. "Marketing, Agriculture And Economics: Presidential Address," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 279-299.
- Susan P Douglas & Dong Kee Rhee, 1989. "Examining Generic Competitive Strategy Types in U.S. and European Markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(3), pages 437-463, September.
- Harriet Emerson & Robert MacFarlane, 1995. "Comparative Bias Between Sampling Frames For Farm Surveys," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 241-251.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.